Did the Zillow format change in the Advice tab?

Or is it my settings? The familiar layout is gone.

November 05 2013 - US

Debbie; I answered that question for you on a separate thread specifically addressed to you, the SAME DAY you asked it:
http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/For-Debbie-Rose/541007/

The answer:
?s=1

Specifically:
http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Dunes-Tavern-Conspiracy-Center/359390/?s=1

For second page with newest sort order, add the page parameter:
&p=2

http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Dunes-Tavern-Conspiracy-Center/359390/?s=1&p=2

You can still see 100 pages with any of the sort orders, thus the doughnut hole is still anything beyond 6000 posts.  (3000 posts each direction).

This thread is not about that, but about the removal of the left column, changing the page layout to 2 columns.  The uxTest cookie allowed one to use the old 3 column format, until yesterday.

June 06
HI Sunny!
Glad it's not just me!

I also tried putting in a random higher numbered page, for the tavern,  to see what would happen, but it wouldn't go above page 100........as of now, the tavern is in the zillow twilight zone!

June 06
I'm curious too Debbie. My sorts of oldest/newest have not been working in the threads for a couple weeks now and the Tavern seems to be MIA beyond page 100. I just posted there to see, but I get a server error 500. I sense a conspiracy...

June 06
HI Pasa

What's the story with the tavern?
We can no longer click on "newest" and see or add any new posts - not sure if that's what you're referencing on this thread or not, but figured you're the "go to" person for questions about zillow!

June 06
They stopped support for that uxText cookie value today.  There appears to be no value to replace it.  And I still have difficulty with the font.  I think it is gone for good this time.  And it appears they didn't listen to anyone regarding the difficulty of reading the font.

June 06
Oh no!  I had my cookie manager all set through 2015 and now it's toast....noooo

June 05
I was doing the same Justin. Hate the new format!

June 05
Hey Pasa ever since you posted this thread I would use

http://www.zillow.com/abs/AssignTrialBucket.htm?treatment=CONTROL&trial=AdviceRefresh

then get the old version for my browsing session.  That stopped working today, is there any other way left to use the old version so I don't get a migraine?

June 05
Well, since there was a comment that it was "fixed", I deleted the uxTest cookie and looked again.  Still not showing the date/time of the last to post in the list, and still has a font (especially for the "blue bold" title) that I can't read, so as far as I'm concerned, it is not "fixed" yet, and the revisions they stated they would make last week haven't been implemented yet.

So, I restored the uxTest cookie again, and will wait until someone else says they can read it now.

My eyesight is "good" so it is not just that I can't read it.  It is just not a good font choice.

By the way, I also don't like the nesting of the home details page on the home search map page.  It takes way too long to load, especially if one is just quickly checking addresses or estimates.

Still adjusting to the new format. It seems more difficult to find current posts and although it has a lot of white space it is not easy on the eyes. I hope it grows on me. For now though, I'm not a fan. All I can say is that it's a good thing that I have one Halloween Snickers left in the ding dong basket.

If you are reading this then you know the Advice Forum is working again. Only tweak is to set option box - next to Ask Question - to Newest.  Last Updated appears to default but that is a hodgepodge of newer and older post. Since glinch last week, it seems that there are less questions posted but maybe that will catch up with access now available thru a simple www.zillow.com search.

not "opening the clipboard", but "opening note-pad"...

Amazing how a phrase in the mind gets typed instead of what one intends...

I don't think they were going for "tablet friendly" as the website requires an "app" for tablets and other mobile devices, thus what they have for the layout for normal browsers is different than what they have for tablets and other mobile devices.

it does look like they were going for a tablet friendly look but it creates the opposite result. there is less info in screen space requiring more scrollin. not a good thing. aa for the trailing space.... done that many times with copy/paste. frustrating!

I just checked the defective link... it is a "trailing space" that caused the problem.  It translated it into hexadecimal... %20 , so it was not being ignored.  Apparently I highlighted one too many characters when copying the link.

(copying the link  to the clip board by "right click" on the link and choosing  "copy link location", then opening the clip board and pressing "ctrl V" to paste the clipboard contents, the %20 (trailing space) showed up immediately.  I should have thought of checking that as soon as Paul posted the link was "defective".)

Oh yes, Jim, that quoted 6 quotes for each quote request; 3 for "low fees", and 3 for "low rates", using his supervisor's name (Seth) for his other 3...  Spent a lot of time on his boat up in Seattle if I remember correctly; seems he lost his license (or maybe never had one...).  He made a big deal of his proprietary YSP (Yield spread premium) formula, and claimed he gave all YSP to his customers.  He also claimed a registered trademark on his "formula", but never bothered to register it.

It was funny when he claimed his dad or grandad or something lived at Victory park...  Also funny that he claimed he could see the Rose parade from that location.  (That was where they parked the floats when the parade was "over").

Of course I don't know all of Pasadena's history, but I know a lot of details no one should know (such as how the illegal drugs arrive in the city and are distributed), and a lot more than many (such as the location of the house of the brother of the First Mayor, and the location for where "Bush Gardens" was, and where the "Wayne Manor" used in the Batman Television series is located.

"why exactly did they change from this in the first place?" -

Of course they will never tell us; likely multiple reasons since they made multiple changes.

I personally asked them to get rid of the left column about 2 years ago as I thought is was a complete waste of space.  (Either that, or have it fully expanded so one could see all the sub-categories).  I didn't expect them to use a non-legible font when expanding the middle column width.  I thought it might make images more legible, and that it would allow more posts visible on the page.

They also changed the distinction between "question" and "discussion", removing the option of creating "discussion" as separate from "question".  But one can still create "discussion" with the old format, and it is still indicated as one or the other in their database.

The "last post time" removal from the summaries was an "error", and they are supposed to have that fixed sometime this week.  I'm hoping the font issue will be fixed in that release as well.

I didn't check the traffic stats before nor after, but it appears to me they lost a lot of participation with the change.

But then, they also lost a lot of quote requests right after the congress debate on the budget and debt ceiling.  About 1/2 of what it was prior.

Thanks Pasa. MUCH better!
For me, the biggest complaint is not being able to see how long ago the most recent post was made. I could care less about seeing when it was originally posted, I can see that once I click. The "rates on the move" thread was created long ago but is still relevant, knowing that date might make people think it's an "old" thread. Many other posts get dug up by others searching the same topic and become relevant again. It's far more useful for me to see who made the last post and how long ago than knowing when the tread was made. 

Pasa, sometimes you do not come through ASAP (apply pond water reflection)... but you do always come through. 
The day you so valiantly thwarted the pesky Zil-lendor/Pasadena resident impersonator (Jim) from zillow,  I knew your valor was to be held in the utmost credible esteem.

BTW - the cow milking the cow animation... Very impressive!  

Thanks Pasa that link works great! Old format so much cleaner why exactly did they change from this in the first place? Is the new format supposed to be more mobile/tablet friendly? I wonder what the traffic stats look like before and after this format change.

definitely thank you.
I don't really even know what my specific complaint is about the layout - I can read it but it's "uncomfortable"

Barb, you are WELCOME again!

I was responding to Paul's comment about the defective link... apparently I copied it wrong.  (I've seen no sign of Paul this morning, so perhaps he is taking Veteran's day off?)

Amazing what a good cookie can do!  (Or a "bad cookie", for that matter).
U.S. Citizens are just not given enough cookie training, in spite of Sesame street.

Personally, I prefer 50 fresh baked chocolate chip cookies from Vons for $5.  There is no way that I can bake them for that.  And the pre-packaged cookies cannot even come close to measuring up to fresh baked.

As a side note, Firefox allows one to have cookies off, and to set exceptions for selected websites.  I keep all cookies off except for 3 selected websites (this one included).  There is a web page that I occasionally use cookies for; I turn cookies on to use the site, then promptly delete all cookies after, turning cookies back off, then restore the cookies for the 3 websites I want to use cookies on regularly.

I don't trust most websites for the way they use their cookies.

Oh, and if you want to stuff Zillow's ballot box on the Foresee survey, you can regularly delete the cookie: fsr.r  (and the other fsr cookie if relevant).

Cookies, someone talking about cookies?   I was thinking about chocolate chip.

Just FYI, I downloaded the Firefox cookie manager and then created the uxTest cookie, set it for a 1 year expiration and I'm all good with the old format. Thanks again!

By the way, remember that Zillow sets the uxTest cookie to expire at the "end of session", so you would still want to use a cookie manager to change the expiration date, to avoid constantly resetting the cookie.

Wetdawgs indicated the "link" still worked, so apparently I copied it "wrong".

Looking at it, I don't see anything different, but perhaps I have a trailing space or something?  The link does still work for me, but not as I posted it in the thread, so for those that don't want to load the cookie manager, the link is:

(Try copy-pasting it to the browser address bar, and pressing "enter").
pasting it as a "link":
link

BINGO!  Thanks, it worked!

By the way, the forum still is showing the old format for me every time, both on each thread and the thread listings.

So, the uxTest cookie is still working.  They have not discontinued support for it yet.  And since I set the expiration for next year, I don't have to reset it each time as wetdawgs was having to do.

"Problem is, I don't have a uxTest folder in the cookie manager" -

Fortunately, I saved the cookie, so I only recall it, rather than having to create it new...

To open the cookie manager, it is the "tools" drop down menu, and "e".

To create a new cookie, after opening the cookie manager, use the "file" tab at the top, and choose "add"

Choose .zillow.com for the "host".  (If you had another Zillow cookie highlighted when you select that, it should already be filled in).

click on the "name" box and type in uxTest
then click on the "content" box and type in 1|bQ.BZw
(copy ctrl-C, paste ctrl-V; it is easier to avoid copying errors)
set "expires" date to next month (or next year)
click "save"

close the cookie manager, then reload the Zillow advice page... you should have the "old" format.

No luck after I downloaded the Cookie Manager. Problem is, I don't have a uxTest folder in the cookie manager. I have abTest and many others.

Just an added note, did you check out the pic of the "developer" on the Firefox add-on page? Holy geez, if my IT person saw this...!!