Did you know you just lost $51,066?

Here's why and what has happen to cause it with facts and figures to help you understand it.[Website removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.]
  • June 11 2013 - Redwood City

SoCal_Engr thank you so much for taking the time to explain to me the ins and outs of posting on a Zillow advice thread.

I do fully understand your position about the variables that can come into play to off set a statement about the loss of $55K as poppy-cock. DRE calls it puffery and is acceptable by their code of ethics. Sometimes Realtors take their puffery to a whole new level that would insult anyone's intelligence.

My intent was never to deceive or mislead someone with whatever I may say about real estate and its many facets. What I was trying to do though was to give one aspect of the home buying process that has changed and it will have an impact on anyone who may be buying a home today verses last week.

I too dislike those who post, comment, or drop a load on a thread and then disappear from the discussion. There are a number of people who enjoy inciting a thread and then sitting back and enjoy others fight. Those are the ones I tend to walk away from.

Hopefully, you'll swing back by and read this post...

It is okay to link to another site, provided that site is informational AND not your (or another's) business site. Examples of sites that can be linked to include government (e.g. HUD, IRS, DoJ, etc.), general information (e.g. Wikipedia, public information sites, news/magazine articles, etc.), etc.

What is not allowed are links to your blogs, website, etc. Essentially, anything which could be construed as part of your business branding. This is to (a) keep answers/responses primarily contained within the forums, and (b) draw a line-in-the-sand to prevent Zillow's forums from becoming one big RE advertisement.

The "trickiest" part is when someone posts, asking for someone to talk to. The "accepted Zillow way" to respond is to point them to your profile by having them click on your screen name.

As for the original assertion, and my follow up question, I still do not see how it is "a given" that a person has lost >$50K. There are just so many assumptions and variables that go into that statement, that it borders on pure hype.

For what it's worth, the majority of non-pros posting on these forums won't care what you post - as long as you respond to their question. A few of us do challenge what we believe are questionable posts/claims, but we are easily ignored (which is what most people seem to choose to do).

Welcome to Zillow's forums.

SoCal_Engr, Thank you so much for your post. I really appreciate it.

I am sorry I didn't realize re-directing to another site is against the TOS. I won't do it again. Thank you for the heads up. I was trying to say something in the least amount of space. I have done it twice tonight and I will discontinue this practice.

As for the 5-7 year refi trends of days gone by I think you will see a return to basic and people living with their loan and the current low rates available. However, you may be right and we will see the refi boom again.

I am a Realtor and I am fond of the axiom of the American Dream of home-ownership. I think it is in the best interest of people to own their homes vs. paying the mortgage for their landlord. The reason why you should by doesn't matter but for most money seems to be the motivating force behind action by future home buyers.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Aside from the link to your website which violates Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy...

How has anyone "lost" $51,066? What happened to the line about homeowners moving or refinancing every 5-to-7 years?

While no one wants to overpay for a house, or for the loan behind it, there's more to the "why" of buying a house than "buy before rates go up any higher."