Profile picture for LAhome

Dimensions for One-Car Garage

We own a single family, one story home in Los Angeles. We don't have a garage as it was converted into a bedroom by a previous owner. We don't have the property to build a detached 2-car garage but may have the space for an attached one car. Questions: Are we better off just building a carport instead of a one-car garage (very few houses in the area have one-car garages, most have 2-car and some even have 3-car) Also, what are the minimum specs for a one-car (width, length) and also, does anyone know the minimum amount of space we would need to keep between the attached garage and the side wall of our property? I believe our dog run on the other side is about 5ft wide. Any opinions and advice are appreciated.

• February 11 2008 - US
  • 1

Profile picture for LAhome

anybody?

Profile picture for dunmoved

"does anyone know the minimum amount of space we would need to keep between the attached garage and the side wall of our property?"

Huh?  I thought it was an ATTACHED garage, which one would assume would be attached to the side of the house?

Profile picture for lonewolf6108

In my area I think its 5 feet for a permanent construction.  Different counties have different codes, so i dont know for your area.

I would call a local contractor and ask what the rule is.  If you dont want them to hassle you about wanting to come give a quote, just tell them you need to take some measurements first to see if you can even legally build before you drag them out to your house and waste thier time. They should understand and be happy to answer a few questions.

Profile picture for LAhome

Dunmoved...I believe that a DETACHED garage can be right up to the property line. When the garage is ATTACHED to the house, there is a minimum amount of space needed between the house and property edge, which is usually a dog run. And I do agree, I think it's about 5 feet. I may have enough room depending on how wide a one-car garage needs to be up to code. A carport might be better than a one-car garage anyway...

HELLO,

YOUR ATTACHED 1 CAR GARAGE SHOULD BE MIN. 300 SF.  AND DEPENDING ON YOUR LOCAL AND IF YOU HAVE A HOA.... YOU HAVE A MIN. SETBACK OF 5' FROM YOUR PROPERTY LINE, EVEN THEN,

YOU CAN FILE FOR A VARRIANCE TO GET AS CLOSE AS 3'.

CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL BUILDING AUTHORITIES.

THANKS.

Profile picture for SlimSadie

I have a one car attached garage and what a waste!  I only park in it when snow is predicted.  It's so tight the kids get out of the car before I pull in because there's barely enough room inside to open the doors.   I call it putting the hotdog in the bun.

Profile picture for chuck04

You would have to check with the CITY codes.  I live in Torrance and the setbacks for a single family dwelling (which would include the ATTACHED garage) is 3 feet from the fence on the sides and 6 feet from a back fence.  That is if the fence is on the property line.  Minimum setbacks from dwelling to dwelling are a minimum of 6 feet.  Dimensions for a one car garage would be 18x9 or 10.

Hope this helps at this late date..

Chuck

20'x10' minimum interior dimensions for most cities. If you need further information, you can contact me at [phone removed by Zillow moderator] Mun