Profile picture for radi

Do 1960 houses in Oak brook areaThousand Oaks have issues withe fundation?

I am looking for houses in Calle Olivo-uppingham and the surrounding areas.The houses are mostly 40-50 years old.But someone told me that this area/tracts have history of slab related foundation issues.Any input on this?What is this slab-foundation problem?

• October 17 2010 - Thousand Oaks

Profile picture for amboy1
No, I have not heard of problems with foundations in that area.
But as a builders I see older homes 40+ years with slab foundations
still in great shape.

The downside with Slab foundations is that a little settling is very noticeble on a slab foundation.
You might not see it under carpet, but if you do, it will be spider cracks
meters long.
A raised foundation might be settling just as much, but the joist and plywood can hide the stress.

Quick solution hire a carpenter (less than a engineer)
with a transit and a birds view drawing of the home.
Have him show you the low points and high points.
It should not take more than an hour +.
It shouldnt cost more than $100-150.
Call me if you get stuck.

Radi,

The area you are describing has fewer issues with foundations than areas south of Avenida de los Arboles. Don't spend money on engineers... yet. Pull back the carpet in a few rooms, take photos and send to me.

While this area is known for some homes having foundation issues, they are all not bad. There's an old saying that goes like this..."don't throw the baby out with the bath water." If you choose to offer on a home in this area I highly recommend you hire a geo-tech engineer to inspect the property. he will check the foundation, the soil, the history of the area with the city. A variance of up to 3/4 of an inch on the slab level is acceptable. I just went through an escrow on a property in this area and it passed with flying colors. Knowing that you will need to do extra inspections, perhaps you Realtor could negotiate $$ toward your closing costs to help offset this cost. A geo-tech engineer will cost you anywhere from $900-$1300.

The entire area does have issues, issues that you should be aware of. Some area are worse than others, especially those WEST of the 23. TALK to neighbors in the area in which you want to live. You might find a great Realtor in TO, but then again you might not. Many Realtors have a 'see you evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' attitude about what they may or may not know. They just want to cover their rears and not get sued - no one would . Neighbors, though, love to tell what they know...

Profile picture for 1wisedad
Radi, 

Generally speaking, the "Oakbrook" tracts are east of the 23, north of Arboles, south of Sunset Hills and west of Erbes.  These homes have NOT had problems with foundation issues.  However, the area you may be referencing which is on Calle Olivo and that surrounding market which is north of Arboles and WEST of the 23 certainly HAS had problems with shifting soil and some slab related issues.  If you are not under contract with anyone, please call me at your convenience as I would be happy to help you find a home in the right area of TO.  I know the market very well.  

John Wise
2ci Direct
818-391-4131
jwise@2cidirect.com