Do Dallas area agents offer commission rebates to buyers?

I am looking to buy a house in Dallas; specifically Allen, Plano, Murphy area. What I want to know is if people can share their experience with or have recommendations of real estate agents who offer rebates (to buyers & documented during settlement).

Case: I am moving from Virginia to Dallas, TX and have a time frame of 1 week. to look for and qualify candidate houses. I have done my research through Zillow and other online resources, and have a good idea of what I want. I don't imagine the agent will have to show me houses endlessly, or that I need a lot of hand holding.

What is your experience with agents who offer rebates off the listing contract back to the buyer?

Thanks.  

November 12 2012 - Plano

While I can appreciate your question the thing you have to understand is that showing you the homes is just one phase of the transaction. The negotiations are crucial, the due diligence is crucial, the process from accepted contract to closing can be very intensive and often times if the agent is a good agent it will feel like a very "easy, simple" task when in all reality they are the conductor of a huge symphony in a sense. You do get what you pay for however. I have had clients who I have show 2 houses to and I have had clients who I have shown 15+ homes too and I worked equally hard throughout the transaction. Your best bet is to find a good agent who can get you a great deal and wont have to cut their commission for their hard work and expertise. 

April 08
This is a great discussion thread, and wanted to add to it.  At the end of the day, the most important factor is finding an agent that you can trust and you work well with.  As for the rebate part, however, this is why we created out website, Upnest, in order to help buyers find top agents and buyer rebates.  Rather than go through the hassle of negotiating 1:1, let agents compete to offer you the best service and rebate possible.

April 03
Try Redfin, it looks like they have agents in Dallas.  They can discuss their rebates with you.

Did an agent really compare hersef to a doctor?  What class do they take where they're told that's even remotely acceptable?  Ha!

I do know some realtors who'd give some %  as rebates, since you're not wasting their time and gas showing you around.

go to CreekviewRealty.com in plano, TX they give you 2% comission, but you'd have to meet their condition.

I will say one thing, in light of the fact that you are relocating and have a relatively short window of time to find and set a deal on a property in Dallas I would not worry about a rebate that may be worth a couple grand and focus more on finding the areas best buying agent and let him save you much more than the rebate by using his superior negotiating skills. The fact is relo buyers can get "suckered" in to paying too much for a house in an area that they are simply no that knowledgeable with. Your research while I am sure it is extensive is simply put no match for the knowledge of a good local agent. Coming from a professional rebates are good but good buyers agents are best!

I dont get offended when anyone asks about rebates. I haven't had that personal experience as of yet however if someone were to ask me, I would show them a list of my services and ask them which ones they do not need me to fulfill. That way I can decide if that particular clients needs can be met or not based on what they are requesting. No matter the experience level of the homebuyer, the actual home buying process is very similar once a contract is in place. Maybe the search portion is different but more than likely your still going to want to view properties that the agent will have to show you themselves just like a not so savvy homebuyer. There can be challenges even with the most seasoned buyers who are on top of there own file. 

FSBO in Dallas is not atypical.  And the title company does an extraordinary amount of the closing work.   Remax agents routinely will work with you.  I too wonder why realtors act so defensive about someone wanting a discount.  6% is a whole lot of money to pay to make appointments for you to see a house you already have evaluated online.  Yes, the selling agent only gets maybe 1.5% of that, which is why discounts are not typically available, because there agency takes their half too....Find yourself a buyer's agent and let them find you a house -- they will work FSBO and other options.  And agents -- you need to push your own agencies to offer tiered pricing and tiered services.  WHy should a seller be faced with $50K off the top for a 'Priced to sell" event that takes 2 days?

Be careful of your focus.....sometimes you get what you pay for.
There's all kind of ways we can save you money, time, and headaches.
I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen with a lot of the rebate agents.
They do want you to be fast in looking, but may not go to inspection, closing, or recommend the best lenders or title companies.  You just never know.
I know when I buy a house in the next city I go to I'm not looking for a rebate agent.  I want the best agent.

to psihiart - nope, realtors sure don't have an MD at the end of their name, but we do have other designations such as CRS, GRI, ABR, etc.  They aren't there just to make us look intelligent.  An experienced agent is a professional.   Did your employer ever ask you to take a pay cut?  How did it make you feel?

You obviously have had a very poor experience with a realtor and for that I am sorry.  But, just like any other professional, you need to find someone who you can work with, who you feel is looking after your best interests!  Of course, you've heard it before...it is one of the most important decisions you will ever make!

To user 374651 - I assume your employer is not assisting you with your relocation.  However, the Human Resources department may be able to assist you with your questions and guide you towards a realtor who is familiar with the Collin County area.  Best of luck to you and welcome to Texas!

I usually suggest that you go to the FIND A PRO link at the top, then search your area and the keyword "rebate." However, there don't seem to be any agents advertising that way in Plano or Dallas. You might simply try to google for agents and use the same strategy. I would do that and then just start calling and checking them out. I am assuming if you only call agents who advertise buyer's rebates, you will save yourself all the admonishment for suggesting a rebate.

Profile picture for psihiart
 To Heather : It's funny how  RE agents compare themselves with Doctors when you ask them for discount.
First of all, you don't negotiate with your doc because insurance company does it for you.Every practice and hospital gets different amount for the same procedure. Depends on size ,revenue, prior business etc.if you pay privately you can always ask for discount.
  Second, If your doc put couple stitches on your forehead ,the bill will be different from open brain surgery. and you can deny services if you feel like you don't need them. If you want your nose fixed, you don't have to pay for ears,eyes even if doctors suggests it.
 So, why realtors is trying to do this to us,Why they offended when you ask them for discount.?
  I lived in a area for decade,I know prices, I know what I want, have access
 to virtually same database (God Bless Zillow),have home improovement experience.I'm willing to drive around and do my own reserch. Why do  I have to pay  the same amount of money as  a person who moves from other continent and needs handholding? Because agent used to it and it's good for him? Not good enough answer for me.  ;)

Profile picture for psihiart
d

Here is my opinion. Would you go to a doctor and tell him, I have done all the work can you just diagnose me and treat me please? I know first hand that finding the house is a crucial part of the job however, once the home is found the next process is the most crucial. Constant communication between all parties is facilitated by the agent. A buyer's agent handles negotiations, paperwork, deadlines, not to mention researching to make sure you get the best deal for the home you end up choosing. If you want a commission rebate on someone's hard work I would expect that you would get a lesser quality of service. Most of the time buyer's agents do not get paid by their clients. Typically the commission is sought by the seller. If you need a good recommendation for a buyer's agent in Dallas, please let me know I have some great contacts there.