Profile picture for tcogz

Do I Qualify for the $15,000 credit

Here are the details:

1. I am currently under contract on a $202,100 house.
2. The closing date is set for February 27, 2009.
3. I am purchasing the house with my fiance who will also be on the mortgage.
4. She has filed her taxes already this year, I have not.
5. We are getting married in November 2009.

Questions:

1. What are the implications of the fact that we will both be on the loan but are not yet married? Will we both get $7500, both get $15,000 (i wish), or both get nothing since neither one of us owns the house 100%. Or would we wait until 2010 to file our taxes for 2009 and file jointly and include the home purchase?
2. Since she has already filed her taxes this year, will she not get the money until later but will I get my share sooner?
3. What if the bill passes after February 27th? If it is not going to pass until after that do I need to delay the closing date?

Thanks for your help!!!!
TC

• February 06 2009 - Phoenix
  • 0

Profile picture for Rob Cochems
tcogz,

Wait till it actually passes, the talk to a CPA for the best way for you two to handle your taxes.