Profile picture for jadennis85

Do I get a new mortgage or refinance on a house I own with my ex-husband to become sole owner?

My ex-husband and I own a house together we bought when we were married.  I want to keep the house (my ex is fine with that).  Do I apply for a new mortgage or do I just need to refinance the current mortgage both of our names are on? 
  • July 11 2009 - Campbellsville
  • 0

If you want him to have absolutely zero interest in the property, you would need to refinance the property and get a mortgage in just your name AND have your husband sign a quit-claim deed at closing.  If this was not part of the divorce paperwork, the title company the lender uses should be able to draw one up for you. 

You would refi and have him removed from the mortgage, provided that you qualify in terms of your credit and income (and there is enough equity in the home)

If you can qualify with just your income and the liabilities on Your Credit Report you will probaly reduce your monthly payment. .... If you can't and your husband agrees to remain on the loan, then just have your husband removed from title. Happy funding, Rudi Hofmann