Do I have to be on the refinance loan to be a co-owner?

My husband and I own a home together.  We will be refinancing, but since I'm a housewife with no income, we are considering not putting my name on the loan.  If we refinance with just my husband's name (he has excellent credit and income), can I still be listed as an owner of the house?  If so, how we do we do so?
  • April 07 2012 - Sacramento
  • 0

To be on the loan is only to share liability.  To be listed as an owner you only need to have your name on the deed.  Any title company could assist you with that or the forms could even be downloaded online, fill them out, notarize them and you could record them with the county for a low fee.

Profile picture for Joseph F Moore
No, but you have to be on the deed/title to the property.

The mortgage doesn't determine ownership it only determines liablity.  As long as you are on the title/deed you will have a right to the home.

Also, depending on your state a home could be considered marital property regardless of whether or not you are on the deed/title/mortgage.

Just get on the deed to play it safe.  The title company can do this when you close the loan.

Best of luck!