Profile picture for Nate1242

Do I have to have a fire Extinguisher on my rental property in east bay, CA?

if I have to have that, how big is fire Extinguisher I need to buy? Also how many fire alarm do I need to put in the property in OAKLAND CA?

November 12 2010 - US

Each bedroom need a fire alarm and also in the living room, the kitchen and the hallway, it is good idea to have the fire Extinguisher in the kitchen or in the garage, where you easy to see and reach, my rentals have the fire Extinguishers as well.
You can buy those at Home Depot, $9 for each fire alarm and $30 for the fire Extinguisher.

Legally needed or not there is a simpler question here. How would you feel if your rental burned down because you did NOT have one in the house?

I would put a big some in the house where a fire is most likely to happen and include in the lease that if it is discharged the tenant has to replace (or refill) it. I would also include that if they did not start the fire no charge would apply. That way if they start a grease fire they can put it out and pay for it. But if you have an electrical fire they can put it out and you saved the house for very little cost. This is cheap insurance.

Just be aware that fire extinguishers have a end of service date stamped on them. Thus on that date they need to be refilled or replaced. Many times replacement is cheapest.

If I were you I would discuss this with the insurance person.  I always have fire extinguishers in my properties, but again, have a word to see what he/she recommends.

I like to have fire extinguishers in rentals and so does the insurance company, although not mandatory by law.

Without looking at an legal issues its probably a good idea to always have a fire extinguisher on each floor of any residential property "just in case" you need one.

House Flipping in Southern California
Profile picture for Adrian Chu
Latest reply by Adrian Chu
  • Posted by Nick Benavides
  • In Investing
Econohomes
Profile picture for cushy6
Latest reply by cushy6
April 10 | 19 answers
Considering buying a rental property in Palm Harbor
Profile picture for Annette Lawrence
Latest reply by Annette Lawrence
March 27 | 1 answers
  • Posted by RPEVERS1
  • In Investing
Using your whole 401k to buy a rental home
Latest reply by sunnyview
February 06 | 19 answers
  • Posted by cindy4341
  • In Investing
I want to buy an investment property, how do I evaluate the investment returns?
Profile picture for irisphx
Latest reply by irisphx
February 03 | 18 answers
  • Posted by ProfessorBaron
  • In Investing