Profile picture for m castro29

Do I have to pay a commission on the sale of my property

I sold my property and represented myself as I am a  licensed agent. I received a contract that had no buyer's agent included. Now an agent is claiming the commission for the transaction
  • July 12 2014 - Miami
  • 0

If you have a contract to purchase with no buyer's agent included, where did the agent come from who is claiming commission?  Sounds highly suspect.

If your home is being sold by you, and the buyer came with an agent, then yes! The buyer's agent is affiliated with a brokerage, even if the commission is negotiable, the buyer always wants representation by a professional (Realtors). 

At my brokerage we can sell our own home but we can not be a buyer agent. Normally if I find a willing buyer I request my broker to represent the buyer. So I pay my broker a fee. The amount can be negotiated in advance in writing.

Profile picture for Datsme
Sounds like you need to get a legal opinion. There was no representation made when the contract was drawn right? Was there an agency disclosure signed???

Profile picture for getpreapprovedfast
Most likely yes.

It would seem to me that this information would have HAD to have been known up front so that you could make a decision if you were looking at a reasonable offer. It might have made a difference to you if you knew there were higher fee's required...(other agent fee's). Seems awfully shady, I would suggest contacting an attorney.

Good luck,

If there was no buyer's agent then why would some broker claim a commission is due? Is it because the other broker brought the buyer to your home? If you provide more details then I can be more specific.

Best of Luck,
Jim Biava
RSVP Real Estate