Do I have to pay a commisssion to a Buyers agent who was only retained for the negotiation to purcha

My potential buyer did not have an agent when he viewed the property and only retained an agent to negotiate the sale.  Do I still have to pay a commisson to the buyers agent?  The agent did not bring me a client and in essence i would be paying the buyer to have someone negotiate.  The buyer no the agent were upfront about this.  the listing does say brokers welcome, but i thought the commission was based on bringing in the client. 

• June 25 2012 - US
  • 0

Best Answer

Profile picture for Bruce Cadden

In that case, I would think that you owe the broker something. The buyer intended to rent but upon the purchase decision, enlisted the help of a broker. I would agree with Sunnyview and try to work out a deal. Everything is negotiable.

What's with the inane "sell it to the next one in line" comments?
Legitimate question = legitimate answer.

The buyer has acted correctly, they probably felt that they needed professional representation if they were buying the property, not renting it.  If it bothers you so much, simply accept the next offer you have on line.  You are on driver's seat!

Just sell it to the next person in the long line of potential buyers.

In Most cases yes, if the agent did the paperwork he or she  still was involved in the sale of the home.

I would try negotiating with the buyers agent. If you were offering 3% to bring you a buyer and the whole shebang, maybe negotiate the commission to 2% for basically handling the paperwork. I would also ask if the buyer is getting a commission rebate from them.

The buyer came to view the property and signed in on the registration form indicating she was not working with a broker.  The buyer and i were personally negotiating a deal to rent instead of buying and in the middle of negotiaions she informed me that she changed her mind about renting and wanted to purchase instead and gave me her brokers contact info. By the brokers own admission, I asked her why her client did not put her name on the open house sign in, she admitted that she was hired for this negotiaionafter the buyer decided to purchase instead of rent.  the buyer did not want to do the negotiation herself.  The broker submitted an offer. 

Profile picture for Bruce Cadden
The agent was not the procuring cause of the sale. (assumed) Who submitted the offer? Was it the agent? If so, you owe a commision. If the agent hopped on the deal subsequent to the offer, I don't see a commision being owed.

Bringing a client to view a property is only but one of the many duties performed by the buyer agent.  If you offered a commission, I believe you have to make good what you promised.