Profile picture for Lashay90807

Do I have to show the home? Landlord selling?

Ok there is nothing in my lease regarding me showing the home I live in, I agreed to show the home once I CONFIRM, well I went home to take my children home from school and a Realtor was showing the home, I did not confirm this at all, he told me the Realtor who put the house up for sale for the landlord told him it was okay to go in, thats not what I agreed to, also when I come home at night my lights are on from showing earlier during the day, I'm not being compensated at all from, HELP, do I have to show?
  • April 24 - US

Best Answer

What a pain.  I feel for you.  Out of common courtesy never mind the LAW the landlord should be giving you 24 hours notice.  If a potential buyer is in such a rush that they just have to see it that day guess what in my experience they are not a real actual buyer.    What happens if you come home one night the lights are on from who knows who showing your place and something of value that you left out is missing?  
 Depending on the state you live in you have Renters Rights that you need to learn and remind your landlord of.  Don't make it difficult on him to sell but don't let them upset your right to "quiet enjoyment".    
  • April 25

What state are you in? In most states, notice is required to enter unless it is an emergency like a pipe break or fire. Your tenant right depend on your lease terms and your state tenant law. If you post your state, I can try to find you a tenant resource that might help you understand your rights and your landlord's responsibilities.
  • April 25

Profile picture for lisake1
It would seem to be in the best interest for both of you to cooperate on showings. LL should give at least 24 hours notice to give you the opportunity to be away during the showing, tidy up, take valuables with you, etc. The LL will benefit by making sure the property looks its best and there are no distractions for potential buyers. Remind the LL of this and ask for more consideration in the future.

And just one other thought--perhaps consider giving less identifying information in your user name.
  • April 25

Profile picture for Dan Tabit
The landlord tenant law in your state will cover this for you. Google it and then do a search for Selling.  Wet Dawgs is correct based on my experience.  You are likely entitled to up to 24 hours notice, but if you make showings hard, the landlord may just notify you everyday that another showing is going to happen.  
Check with the law in your state and decide how cooperative you want to be and start looking for another place to live.  
  • April 24

Unless there is something in your lease that says the landlord is not going to sell the home, you do have to allow the landlord to sell.  In most states non-emergency access (including showing) requires 24 h to 48 h notice (check the laws for your state).

Point out to your landlord the problems with lights being left on and expense, and suggest compensation.

• April 24