Profile picture for geollover79

Do I have to use the agent that showed me the house I want to purchase?

I made an offer on a property and did not get it. They took someone else's offer. Now it is back on the market and I would like to make an offer again. Do I have to use my previous agent who show me the house or can I use other agent?

August 18 2013 - US

Marvelous makes a good point. 

I had a situation recently where the seller had multiple offers and didn't accept any of them.  I represented the buyer.  We re-submitted a month later and my buyer's offer was accepted.

Is there a reason you don't want to use the agent you used originally?  If the reason is that you didn't get your original offer accepted by know that a buyers agent rarely has the power to push an offer through - there are just too many factors in play.

Did you sign a buyer's agreement with your agent?  Even if you signed a buyer's agreement you can request a release. 

Real estate is a business of contracts.  Sellers sign a listing agreement.  Buyers sign a buyers agreement (not all agents require this). If you visit a new subdivision the builder's agent wants you to register and sign in (I strongly suggest buyers of new construction have their own buyer representation and not use the builder's agent).

David makes some excellent points about multiple offer situations.  We are seeing more multiple offer situations here (I'm in NY).  When a seller reviews the offers with their agent there are many factors to consider besides price.  Type of financing, closing date, etc. are just a few.

Get referrals for agents from friends, family and colleagues.  Find an agent you like and trust to work with.

If you signed a buyers representation agreement with a specific end date (often 6 months out) you may be obligated to use that agent as you are under contract with that agent no matter what home you purchase. Plus the agent may be entitled to commission under procuring cause. But this too is often spelled out in your representation agreement (it varies from state to state and contract to contract).

No. However, I would suggest getting a referral from a friend or family member and begin to forge a relationship with an agent you are going to use to purchase the home with. You both need to be on the same page and jumping from one agent to another might cause some confusion. Considering your situation, if you feel that the agent did not represent you in your best interests then switch. Many factors affect how the seller picks the best offer in a multiple offer situation. They look at the final net proceeds, how much down payment is being put down, how much earnest money is being offered, the option period timeframe, financing type, etc. It sounds like there might have been financing issues with the previous buyer or there were issues with the home on the inspection report. Whoever you choose to work with to make another offer... get them to call to see what happened. If it was financing, go get yourself a new house and maybe be a bit more aggressive with the offering. If it was inspections and the house needs repairs, request the report. If the seller looked at it, he must disclose all the info and you have a right to see it too.

Unless you've signed an agreement with the previous agent, you can use any agent that suits you best.