Profile picture for tg101

Do I need a buyers agent to just view homes?

• April 29 2011 - Tampa
  • 0

Hi tg,

I can understand you not wanting an agent asking you a lot questions while all you want to do is see the home. Please understand, that realtors and listing offices are not allowed to give out lockbox codes to the public. It is part od the security the seller receives when listing with a realtor. My mls service can fine a realtor $1,000 for giving a lockbox code to their client to access a property alone.

No but, if you are serious about buying a home you need to have someone on your side. Someone that knows the area and can tell you if the price is in the right ball park. If it will go FHA ,VA

You can ask your spouse, or your neighbor, to pose as one. The listing agent will have no idea and you'll get a laugh.

Why not look around, which you can do alone, until you have a better idea of what you want and then find an agent to help locate the exact home within your tastes, and especially to help you negotiate. It won't cost you anything, and if you behave, you'll definitely get a free dinner out of it, and probably a nice BBQ cooking set.

Profile picture for Blue in d Nile
As already implied, a listing agent is not getting paid to provide "custom home tours" to 3000 lookie-loos per week at all hours of the day and night just because some random person that is too lazy to call their own agent "wants in" so that they can case the joint to rob it.  No one calling a listing agent to "see a home" is qualified to buy; if they were qualified, they would have already selected an agent to let them in the doors and would already have a pre-qualification letter from their loan officer, or a letter from a bank where they have substantial assets on deposit.

Though there is no such thing as a "free" agent, you are not going to get a discount from a buyer's agent by getting only the selling agents to spend 3 hours of their day opening the doors for you and standing there while you look at a few walls, floor, counters, fixtures, and ceilings, and then ask a few foolish questions that your home inspector would be much more qualified to answer.

If you really must have the listing agent show you the house, wait for the publicized open house!  Otherwise, get your own agent to open the door, as that is what your agent is being paid for!

Or skip looking at the house entirely and just write up your offer with appropriate inspection and funding contingencies, and be out the inspection and appraisal costs for something that you could have easily ruled out with a 5 minute quick look.

If you don't want your own agent to let you in, it is not expensive to get your own license, and the test is not at all difficult; but you would need to find a broker to accept you to work under.

Yes and No.  You need a buyer's agent to gain access to the properties but if you just want to view homes at open houses then you don't need one.

Be represented! Why do it alone? Realtors take pride in the service we provide. A good Buyers Agent will Save you Time, Money and Stress!

No, you can view homes with any agent of your choice.  If you are viewing homes without an agent, and want that home, the listing agent may not agree to 'compensate' that agent.  Good luck!

I've only been in this business several years, when this business became really, really tough.
If I'm fat its because I've eaten too much food, not because I'm rolling in the "dough".

I don't know why you insist on having an agent who can't do their job properly due to distance.  This is your choice. 
As a listing agent, I personally wouldn't have much of an issue with showing my listings but agents don't want to tread into each other's territory and this is probably what you are dealing with, not laziness.

Lazy agents don't last very long in this business.

Profile picture for tg101

I think the homeowners should be notified any time someone wishes to view the home and if their Listing Agent is too lazy/greedy to open the door they can answer to the homeowner.

For $500 I sold a my home in Wisconsin and he is what they provided:

Listed on MLS (which automatically gets my home on many other websies.

Signs

Appraisal Analysis

Realtor Attened Closing

Good luck, just like travel agent you are going to need it. Pigs that get too fat get slaughtered.

Profile picture for tg101

My realtor is located far from where I will be purchasing my home. I will find my own home and have them assist in the negotations.

I refuse to have the listing agent also be the buying agent as they will not have my best interests at heart.

Brian, seriously.  Stop fishing for referral fees.  The vast majority of your answers includes solicitation for referrals and that is not what the Q &A section on Zillow is about. 
Feel free to do that on Trulia because they are all about agents selling themselves over there.
Also, how can buyer's agents be free when its the buyer who brings the money to the table?  Don't you think the house is priced accordingly?

"Lets be honest realtors are not doctors they ofter are retirees that are just sucking up some extra income."

Well....I'll agree with the doctor part but the retiree part is way off the mark, at least in my neck of the woods.  Part time agents may exist but you can't make a living being part time around here-  too competitive of a business and too much expectation of being available 24/7.

The problem with the listing agent showing their listing is what happens when you want to put an offer on that listing.  Although showing a home isn't enough to prove procuring cause, its the beginning of the chain of events and your agent should be there from the beginning.

This is the thing:  your agent shouldn't and probably doesn't have any complaint about showing whatever home you desire.  Its part of our job as a buyer's agent and part of how we earn the commission.  It's unclear whether or not you have your own agent already but your agent's ability to be available on a timely basis to show homes that you are interested in is obviously crucial and if you have an agent who is reluctant or too busy, hire another one.

Thanks for your question.  I assume you are the buyer.  You probably COULD make appointments with each listing agent but I do not understand why you would not want a buyer's agent?  We work for you for free and will get you a far better deal than you can on your own.  You will need info from an agent at some point in time during the transaction, guaranteed!

Good luck, hope this helps and if you need a referral for a good buyer's agent, feel free to contact me.

Let the sellers decide if they want to have a listing agent or not, it's up to them and most don't wish to fool with waiting around to show you a home to save a commission It is comforting to know they will not have to open the door and let a stranger in their house, so they will leave when it is being shown by a Realtor. Since you are going to use an agent, then use them and call them when you want to see a house.

Profile picture for tg101
I fully intend on having an agent to facilitate an officer to purchase. I don't feel like contacting my realtor every time I see a house I am interested in viewing. I just need someone to open the door.

So far I have notived that Listing Agents will not make these accomidations without either (A) taking both sides of commission or (B) make my realtor show me the property.

If I was selling my home I would be disgusted with my listing agent if they would not make reasonable accomidations for a buyer to view my home.

If selling your home pay $500 to have a company list your property online and have the buyers contact you directly. Save yourself at least 3% of your home value.

I can't believe how lazy these people are for the amount of money they want to collect..... Lets be honest realtors are not doctors they ofter are retirees that are just sucking up some extra income.