Do I need to request an appraisal from the city I live in if my home value hasn't changed for 4 yrs?

• April 11 2014 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
What is it you are trying to do? Make your taxes go up or do you think the value should be lower? I doubt many cities will pay for a appraisal of your property. You could ask the city or county tax assessment office to revalue your property but they will likely tell you to supply them with a reason and proof for them to look at. In North Carolina the law says that home assessments can not change for at least 4 years and must be reassessed between the 4th and 8th years, so they can be the same for up to 8 years here. No big deal since assessments have nothing to do with the price a home might sell for and the tax office can increase or decrease the tax rate per $100 of value on homes so no new assessments are really needed.