Profile picture for Im Free

Do I qualify for the first-time home buyer $8,000 tax credit if my ex-spouse owned a home?

My ex-husband bought our a home before we were married.  My name was never put on the deed or mortgage.  My name was put on an equity line of credit only for banking purposes.  I never purchases my own home.  Do I qualify for the $8,000 tax credit?

• April 21 2010 - Cleveland
  • 0

If you have enjoyed the tax benefits of home ownership at any time in the past three years, you will not qualify for the first time homebuyers tax credit.

The IRS determines home ownership not on who is on the deed but rather whether as a married couple you took advantage of tax deductions which are only available to a home owner. This would make you a homeowner (in the eyes of the IRS) even if your name wasn't on the deed.

If you have questions about your specific situation, I urge you to contact the IRS as the are the arbiters of this program.

IRS.gov