Do I show my Home to a non approved Buyer with a Agent?

My Agent wants me to show my home to someone not approved.  Does that make sense?.  It is very difficult because I have been very sick for over three weeks.
  • September 14 2013 - Orange
  • 0

Best Answer

First off - It sounds like you need a little more information from your agent.  You need to ask your agent exactly why they are showing your home when they know the buyer client is not approved.  On its face, the effort would seem like a waste of time.  HOWEVER, you should ask the agent if the buyer will be purchasing contingent upon the sale of another property, or some other circumstance.  Just because they don't have an approval does not mean they do not have cash reserves stashed somewhere, or don't have family or friends that won't gift them the money.  If one of those scenarios apply, the agent needs to get that information with a gift letter or proof of funds letter first.  I hope this helps!

[promotion deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

No. I would tell you're agent that you are sorry, but that you do not want to see these buyers until they have spoken to a lender. 

Explain that you are sick right now and you will be happy to show it to lender qualified buyers anytime, but right now buyers with no financials available will need to wait. When you are feeling better, you can be more flexible.

You need to get a more complete picture from your agent. It is crucial that you have a pre-qualified or pre-approved letter submitted with any offers you receive. It's your decision about whether to restrict any showings to only those with a pre-qualified letter.

No,  Unless you have proof of funds for an "all cash sale", I would not waste your time with a "lookie Lou" who has not been approved for a loan. Most sellers would not consider it and 90%of professional "Buyer Representatives" would not either.

It sounds like there is more to the story. Maybe there is reason to believe that the buyer will qualify, has links to other buyers or the buyer's agent is considered to be a "gateway" to other buyers. Good buyer agents generally don't waste their time showing homes to buyers that can't buy.

It is always advisable to get as much exposure as possible. Hopefully, you are able to rest in a chair or recliner with a book or magazine in a quiet corner or in the yard for the short time it is being shown. Although it is usually preferable for the seller to vacate for showings, I'd say that if you are ill, this compromise is more than adequate.

Profile picture for kelliv
Frist, I am sorry that you have been ill.  When I sold my first home, I still remember twenty years later how sick I was when the buyers came to see my house and I felt embarrassed.   However, once you are feeling better, the key to selling your home for the most amount of money is by getting the home exposed to the most amount of people.   I can give you countless sales where I showed a non-qualified buyer but they told a friend or family member about how great the house was and they came and bought it.  In addition, remember the agent showing that buyer works with many other buyers and you want them to fall in love with your home and tell everyone about it.  I would consult with your Realtor to see when is the best time to EXPOSE the house to everyone.

If you are ill I can understand you are reluctant to show your home.

Sometimes an agent is working with a new buyer who has not yet been approved. There are many reasons why buyers hold off on getting a pre-qualification.  Some want to find a home before they have their credit pulled.

Often I make judgment calls once I've interviewed with the buyer.  I will show them property.  Speak with your agent and find out why they want this particular buyer to see your home.  They could be a cash buyer.