Profile picture for NewBuyer4

Do I still buy a house that had settling problems that were fixed by piers?

  • June 05 2010 - Vista del Norte
  • 0Yes

  • Report a Problem

    Please enter a valid email address.

    Content flagged

    We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

    We're sorry. This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.

Be a Good Neighbor. Be respectful and on-topic. No spam or self-promotion! See our Good Neighbor Policy.

 
 

Answers (4)

The advice given by "the Venturi Team" is the same as I would suggest, except not an inspection, a study.

If the seller won't pay or split the fee, I would still go ahead and order an engineering study on the subject property. If this the house for you. You'll want that piece of mind.

Also, for insurance purposes. This is public record. The insurance company will know. They will probably require a study, prior to insuring. If not, this may effect your rates considerably. The cost of a study will probably be in the $2k - $4k range. .... Happy funding, Rudi 
  • June 06 2010
  • 0Yes

  • Report a Problem

    Please enter a valid email address.

    Content flagged

    We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

    We're sorry. This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.

Profile picture for Erich Young
Check with the city. Ask the neighbors. Call local contractors. It's your responsibility to know everything there is to know about that. And your agent should be able to help get expert advise.
  • June 05 2010
  • 0Yes

  • Report a Problem

    Please enter a valid email address.

    Content flagged

    We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

    We're sorry. This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.

My recommendation to a buyer in this situation would we to have the home inspected by a licenced and insured Structural Engineer/Inspector.  If the Structural Inspector finds that there should be no future problems, get something in writing that certifies this. At that point you can decide if you want to proceed.  If I was representing the buyer I would ask that the seller pay for this inspection.  Not to say they will, but I would ask.
  • June 05 2010
  • 0Yes

  • Report a Problem

    Please enter a valid email address.

    Content flagged

    We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

    We're sorry. This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.

Profile picture for real estate mike

Does the work carry a warranty? Is it transferable by a reputable long standing company? How long ago was the problem addressed and does there appear to be new issues? In my mind, it's better than one on the same street that never had an issue resolved but had the same problems. If you decide to make an offer have the foundation checked out early during your option period to remove/affirm doubts. best of luck

  • June 05 2010
  • 0Yes

  • Report a Problem

    Please enter a valid email address.

    Content flagged

    We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

    We're sorry. This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.