Profile picture for fam jenny

Do banks offer mortgages to foreigners?

We are moving to NYC and would like to buy a home there. Just wondering which bank(s) offers mortgages to foreigners (my husband is Swiss and I am actually American but I have no recent credit history in the U.S. since I have been living abroad for so long). 
  • August 22 2011 - New York
  • 0

Profile picture for CrimsonMortgage
We can in states that we are licensed do Loans for people as long as they have a social secutiry number and work authorization card.  
FHA or USDA

Profile picture for isaac515
 [Promotion removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

If you have at least 10% to put down and are in a unique scenario, you'd want to find a local lender or credit union that offers Portfolio Loans (like me).

These loans are held in-house so there is more flexibility. They don't go by the strict rules of conventional or FHA. So having a unique VISA would not necessarily be grounds for denial. We would take a look at the whole picture. 

If you're buying in Michigan, have a unique scenario, and have at least 10% to put down feel free to reach out to me. 

All the best!
Adam Lesner

if you are legal on valid work/living visa, then I can advise you on lenders that do so. there are many foreigners and diplomats who live in NYC, and they are able to buy, you just need to work with a knowledgeable broker. 

Profile picture for shapiroamg
Traditional loan products that are sold to Fannie, Freddie, and FHA would need a 2 year history of residence, credit and employment. 

There are some foriegn national programs but I would assume a larger down payment.

I understand the need to settle quick but you have a nice opportunity to rent for a little, explore and really figure out where you want to be. Perhaps in this temp mode some time will pass expanding your mortgage loan product offering.