Profile picture for Mike Hart

Do buyers prefer tile floors in living rooms?

I renovate houses to resale and I always put tile floors in kitchens & bathrooms.  Agents have been telling me to put tile in living rooms, halls, and even bedrooms, instead of carpet.  I prefer carpet, myself, but it matters more what the majority of buyers prefer.  What do most buyers prefer?
  • September 16 2009 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Mike Hart
Great points!  thanks for the ideas.  I agree that tile can limit the options for the buyer because it is difficult to change.  I like the point that carpet can be changed easily.

The cost of installation for tile or hardwood are about the same, but the materials differ greatly, so tile is a lot less expensive.  Apartment grade carpet is very inexpensive.

Profile picture for agentblu15
given your location (southwest), I think tile in any part of the living area is a viable alternative to carpet, as it fits with the style there, is cooler than carpet (climate-wise), and as others said, is easy to clean.

I'd be curious to know how the costs compare though?  You said hardwood is out of your renovation budget, but with cost + installation time and effort, I would think that tile would be close to hardwood in total expense, and much more expensive and time-consuming than carpet?

The only other thing to consider is ability to be changed-- carpet an be quickly and easily removed and changed out fairly cheaply if the buyer doesn't like it-- tile is more permanent, so you run the risk of limiting your buyer pool if they don't like tile, or don't like the style you pick.

As a buyer, I'd prefer hardwood number one, tile number 2, carpet number 3.  

Carpet can be warm and comfy, but is a filth catcher especially when the house has pets and /or little humans.

Profile picture for Mike Hart
Yes, hardwood is nice, but too expensive for my renovations.  I am not impressed by engineered wood products, and disgusted with cheap laminated wood floors with no durability.  It comes down to tile or carpet.

Most buyer's prefer hardwood over carpet however, I have never had one put tile in the living room. I hope this helps!