Do buyers understand the significant importance of having a licensed home inspector review purchase?

In Kentucky, it may be your last legal way to undo your sales contract.
  • January 27 2012 - US

Absolutely.....NOT.

At least, they don't take it too serious. I have had buyers tell me to send them the report, that everything is fine with the home. Others who spend the whole inspection on their cell phone, rather than learning about their new home.

The home inspector I tend to recommend the most is probably one of the toughest inspectors in Chicago because I believe in the inspection process so intensely. I have lost many a deal because of him. But in the end, I feel great knowing that my buyers had a completely neutral (no paycheck riding on sale) party give them a professional report on the home's condition.

Now...I have had certain clients who insist on using 'their' inspector, generally somebody recommended from a friend or family. I joke not, but 9 out of 10 of these guys, and I really am leaning toward the whole 10, are garbage. They do the most rudimentary checks, have no real understanding of old buildings (essential here in Chicago), and have been conditioned by the industry to not screw up the deal. And the poor clients love them cause they think everything with their new house is just swell. And yes, there are the complete opposite, armchair quarterback inspectors who tell you everything is wrong without mentioning the monetary or hazard insignificance of their findings.

Get a home inspection. It saves you headaches, money, and gives you a great excuse to spend three hours in your new home planning where you'll put the flat screen.

Profile picture for allenperry
I dont think they do.  Buyers who are insistant on not using a buyers-agent usually mess up when it comes the inspection.  Having a handful of trust inspectors is SO important.  You have got to be able to trust them and be sure that they are an expert at what they do.   This can make or break the close of a deal.

Many buyers probably don't realize the importance of this step of the buying process.  As an agent representing buyers it is extremely important to make sure that they are aware of the inspection process and that they hire a experienced competent inspector, not just someone to walk through with a check list. 

Wes, before I started reading on these real estate sites I had no idea about even getting an inspection done. This is something I am now aware of and know this is definitely something more buyers should have explained to them by the realtor they are working with..