Profile picture for designchallenged

Do kitchen cabinets and trim/woodwork have to match in color? I want cream cabinets with white trim?

I have a white tile floor.. so I don't want to go White on the cabinets.   It's a small kitchen, and I am considering painting the cabinets a cream color ( historic color collection) and painting the woodwork and doors white.  The wall is a pale green.
  • June 13 2010 - US
  • 0

I believe, it will be a nice color combination especially if the kitchen is small. Make sure, you use an oil paint for the cabinets and I would actually paint the ceiling and cabinets the same color, such as linen white, the contrast with the pale green will give your kitchen a fresh new look. Make sure the ceiling paint is a flat paint and the cabinets a low luster. The Satin Impervo from Benjamin Moore is the best oil paint you can buy.

Unless you specialize in resurfacing kitchen cabinets leave that work to the professionals. 

I painted my kitchen cabinet frames flat black and had new doors made from cherrywood and the look was stunning.  I did however also have the upper doors paned with textured bubble glass inserts and finished them off with shinny silver door pulls to match my stainless appliances.  I think contrasting the frames with the doors is a fabulous look.  Maybe you might consider a stronger contrast than cream on the frames and a different color or stain on the doors.  I recently helped a friend with a small kitchen and we had the door panels taken out of the cabinet doors and replaced with bead board and then put on black knobs and they looked awrsome took.  She sold her home in less than 3 weeks.  Hope this gives you some ideas.

White trim with cream cabinets is 100% OK with me (and probably the majority of the US)

Hello, I work in architecture and have also worked in construction prior to now doing both real estate and architecture.  The trend that the interior designers have been using right now is to paint the trim either a slightly different color or at least a different sheen between the walls and trim which will give it the appearance of being a different color. Here is a link to a really good interior designer which we use at our firm they are Sechrist design associates.

http://sechristdesign.com/portfolio/portfolio.asp?typeID=5

David

I always paint all woodwork the same color.  I usually never use a stark white either (even with white tile).  With the green walls, I would just try to stay away from any creams with yellow tones.  Go with a cream that has a tone more towards brown or green.

Check out some pictures on HGTV.com website for ideas. I have seen few homes especially older condos and they look good.

Profile picture for saragracewright
i have white doors, windows, and trim in my kitchen and my cabinets are more of a light beige and i think it looks fantastic!  it creates a little contrast