Profile picture for Connie Klemme

Do you have a Preference- working as Buyer's Agent vs. Listing Agent?

question not limited to agents, but is mostly directed that way. do you have a preference for working with buyers or sellers?  if so WHY?  each side has the special rewards and obstacles- what are the ones that you just accept as part of the deal and what are the things that you've worked to overcome?

.

• September 06 2011 - Oklahoma City

Profile picture for carlosbarron
I love working with buyers, especially first time buyers.  Not only do I help them find thier perfect home, but it also keeps me abreast of what is out there in the market.  There is no substitute to touring houses to evaluate trends and values for listings. Working with buyers helps my sellers by keeping me sharp.  This is a win-win-win situation.

Profile picture for Mevin Barnes
Hi Connie, Excellent Question

Maybe its the market here in the Deltona that is shaping my opinion but I certainly would prefer to be a Listing Agent.  Its one thing to run all over town with a Buyer who is purchasing a $250K dollar home.  Its another when they are purchasing a $40K house.  Don't get me wrong,  I believe in serving everyone but spending hours on a transaction  just to make $700 (and I haven't even subtracted expenses like gas, snacks or materials) takes it toll. When I work with a Seller I find I don't have near the expenses nor do they take up as much time.  

Yes, I love working with both buyers and sellers for different reasons but especially buyers because a lot of the buyers I've been working with the past few years were first time buyers.  I love helping them fulfill their dreams of homeownership -- they're lovely to work with and I love guiding them through the process and seeing how ecstatic they are once escrow is closed. 

Connie, if the sellers agent would rebate part of the buyers side commission to me that could be an incentive to use the listing agent.

If not I want a different agent.

However, when I see a place for sale I will call the sellers agent directly and ask questions. Since they leave far to much information off the listing I want the real details and do not want to be waiting for 2 other people to arrange schedules to find out the property is not something I would buy.

As an example... how much road frontage does it have?
It has 250' of road frontage....

No thanks, 40 acres should have a lot more. It sounds like the leftovers of a cut up property to me. I wish you put that in your ads to save both of us a lot of time.

The big advantage to a buyers agent is hopefully they will be honest about the property which the sellers agent might not as they were not directly asked and have to look out for the sellers interests.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
I find that I communicate with buyers better- it's not intentional- so it's an area of improvement for me to communicate with sellers as well as I do with buyers.  You get the fun parts with buyers - showing houses, listening to what they plan to do if they buy it, talking about what will grow in the flower beds and so on.  Listing is supposedly where it the success is...at least that's what we are taught and seems like we put out far more effort for the buyer than the seller.   hope more people respond-  it's interesting to see all the perspectives.

I always like to maintain a listing inventory of saleable homes.  I welcome all buyers especially in this market for the same reasons Regina stated and because the transaction is usually completed pretty quickly.  We have a pretty high DOM right now.

I enjoy working with buyers in this tough economy because my client will get a great deal and price. It is difficult to work with some sellers due to telling them the hard facts, that their house will not sell for the amount they believe it is worth. Some agents prefer to list homes because they do not want to drive all over town with buyers looking at numerous homes.
It is like any other profession, everyone has their preferences and strengths.