Do you know who has your lockbox code? Warning to home owners and agents.

Do you know who has access to your house or your listing?

Well you should. A common scam is people calling agents saying they want to conduct a showing, inspection or appraisal and they are not even Realtors, Inspectors or Appraisers. This means you have a stranger in your property and who knows what they can or will steal.

I have switched to setting up all showings through eshowings. If an agent calls me and i dont know them or recognize their voice, i simply ask them to log on or call eshowings and set it up through there where there is a record of who received the code.

I have also switched all my lockbox codes up so they are not all the same. Whether you are listing reo properties, short sales or have tenants or the seller living there.  A little precaution can save you liability and problems with the house being stripped of all its metal.

The other problem i have is showing agents giving out the code to their buyers on vacant homes. This is a big no no.

What are some your policies or ideas on this matter?

Updated August 8, 2010

Blog Written by:

Scott Godzyk
Godzyk Realty Group

• August 08 2010 - Manchester
  • 1

Actually, I don't use lock boxes on most of my listings. I try very hard to make sure to always have assisted showings, that way I can be sure of who is in the home and that nothing is taken. If for some reason I can't be there, I arrange to have a colleague show the property for me. I have had several occasions where other agents told me the code for homes where the lock boxes didn't work or where whomever had shown the home before me left the lock box open. Why open your clients up to the risk if you can avoid it? Take good care of your clients and they will take good care of you.

You have some great advice, the problem i face is with bank listings where the banks MANDATE lock boxes are used and most often with their codes. The unfortanate part is teh agents who come into to show that dont treat the listing with any respect they would give their own home, they leave doors unlocked, windows open and lights on. Every agent should treat any listing the way you would treat your own home.

why don't you guys have the automated lockboxes? the ones that need a realtor key to open, that records everyone who opens it? I can go online and see exactly who has gotten the key to any listing.

What's really 'interesting' is if you know which lender owns a property, you can pretty much let yourself into the property as the lender uses the same code on all their mechanical lockboxes.

For instance, Chase uses ****

And Fannie Mae uses ****

Now did you really think I would share those codes with you?