Do you recommend removing wallpaper before the house is put on the market? The wallpaper is neutra

• September 13 2013 - Lansdale

Profile picture for tadu126
I am a first time home buyer looking at homes around the $300k (and a big higher) mark. I will tell you right now that my husband and I will come with a significantly lower offer on a home with wallpaper than we would on one without. 
We see the wallpaper as the owner's personal preference- if it is in one or two rooms, no biggie. If it is in a significant portion of the home, expect to see a way lower offer and less willingness on our part to negotiate. I would absolutely advise sellers (especially sellers in homes at a higher price point) to remove wallpaper and paint neutral. There's no way for buyers to know the condition of the walls underneath the paper nor how easy or difficult it will be to remove it. 

For example- the home we are currently putting an offer on is listed at $339k. It is a great house EXCEPT for the wallpaper that is dated and terrible (we're talking dogs laying next to cheetahs and BLACK and gray grecian urns etc...). THe wallpaper is in nearly half of the house- as such, we are coming in 20k under asking because we see the wallpaper removal as a SIGNIFICANT expense that we will need to tackle straight away. 

I see a lot of agents weighing in on this and to the ones who are saying leave the paper, I am telling you as a buyer- DO not leave the paper. 
  • July 11

It seems most replies are sayign to take it down and their buyers hate wallpaper.  I say it all depends on the house. Is the house a Antique, a Victorian or something special where the wall paper adds to the decor?   Is the paper in nice condition?  Will it be easy to remove or turn into a big job?  I had an antique house that had wallpaper and when I went to remove it chunks of the horsehair plaster came with it.  The walls were such a mess I ended up laminating them with slim 3/8 sheetrock and painting.  It was a big job.   If the paper is in good shape I would say put it on the market as is. Put it on the broker tour and have your agent do open houses and listen for feedback.  If the consensus is "hate it"  you know what you need to do.   Good luck.
  • March 25

From my experience, buyers don't like wall papers and also see them as added expense to remove it as soon as they buy property. So if everything else is in good condition please remove and paint neutral. Trust me, it will pay off.
  • March 25

My Millennial buyers turn their nose up whenever we go in a house with wall paper. 

My middle age buyers will tolerate it if it is tasteful.

If possible remove it.  Paint neutral but strong earth colors.  

Some things you need to know about removing wall paper and what you will probably have to deal with afterwards.

Wall paper doesn't always come down easy, I don't care what anyone tells you and what they say to use. Every situation and every room will be different.

Worse case:
The wall papered area was never sized , comes down in very small pcs.
Often you will have you will have to repair a lot of areas, on some instances I have had to skim coat the entire wall, sand, prime, and paint.
Priming will show you all the areas that need attention and the ones that don't. Before painting.

Best case:
 If the printed or finish side comes off just by pulling it...that's good. after the fact you will find that it leaves behind the glued sheet part...you can saturate this with a watered down sponge...let it sit till you see it bubble then it is ready to pull and or scrape with a 6in. drywall knife.
Finish up with cleaning it with fresh water and sponge.
Then make your repairs.

Painting over:
If you choose to paint over it be aware that sometimes after you have painted it will bubble like crazy...don't be to alarmed when it does... most of the bubbles will return back to their flatted state...but some will not.

I have never ( once ) gave an estimate for removing wall paper...you never know what you have ...could take a few hours (per room) could take 3 days to finish it out to paint.

Good luck with all that.
-Joseph-

We advise painting where needed and in most cases removing wallpaper. Wallpaper is a personal choice of the homeowner. Sometimes we find ourselves in a home where the wallpaper is 30 years old. You're job is to get the home show ready and old wallpaper makes a home look tired. An exception might be in a formal dining room where the wallpaper is neutral and tasteful and a current pattern.

Good Evening,

This is a excellent question. In some areas we have seen wall paper come back into style. I have noticed it in designer/ model homes. I would recommend touring some model homes in your area that are in the similar price point of your home. Builders utilize the services of interior decorators and stagers to help sell their homes. This should help determine if your wall paper reflects what consumers are looking for in your market place. Hope this helps.

Ryan Ford P.A. Realtor
Watson Realty Corp
[Removed by Zillow Moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

Profile picture for aracz

If the wallpaper is new in style, and in good condition, it may be ok to leave it. Also, if you are trying to make the tail end of the seasonal market and this would delay the on market date significantly, then I would think twice abut removing it.

Arpad

Profile picture for HomesOnTheSound
Personally speaking, it might depend on the quality of the home.  If it's a higher end home, it would be advisable to strip the wallpaper and paint a neutral color with a smooth finish.  If it's a flip, or a lesser quality home, an investor may choose to take the least expensive route and paint over the wall paper, or if it's a solid neutral color (in good/clean condition) even leave it.

Profile picture for NinaHarris
Rather than go through the hassle of removing the wallpaper where you can potentially damage the sheet rock, another option would be to spackle and sand seams that are separating, prime and then paint.  If done correctly, it's amazing how good the walls will look.

Profile picture for bbterry97
Buyers do hate wallpaper and borders.You say it is neutral, I'd leave it alone.

I don't recommend any cosmetic changes without seeing the property. If you are planning to paint, your local paint store will likely provide you a skilled decorator at a ridiculously nominal fee, and I would follow their advice.

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
Buyers today HATE wall paper and any that have removed it know how difficult it can be. yes, I would remove it and paint the walls a nice neutral color no red, pink or green.