Do you think I am eligible to buy my first home?

I am interested in buying my first home. I have a career and have a reliable and steady full time job and make about 34 thousand before taxes. I have not held my job a year yet because I graduated college in May 2012 and didn't get my job until a few months after. Would I be approved with 630 credit score and 28 thousand of student loan debt? I am interested in the first time home buyers program. 

I really would love to own my first home. My friend recently got approved even though she has more student debt than me worse credit but makes around the same income. 

What do you think based on my info?

I appreciate your help.

Kayla
  • February 17 2013 - Fort Wayne
  • 0

Most lenders require a 640 credit score.. You are very close so work hard to get your credit score up by making all your minimum monthly payments on time and contact a local mortgage broker who can coach you on how to increase your credit score.  A mortgage broker can shop for loans for you from a variety of lenders and find the best loan for you.

Profile picture for JoshBarnettREIB
What did your lender say?

Kayla,

The local lenders here in Fort Wayne require your credit score to be at 640. I do have an out of state lender that will go below 640. It would be a good idea to contact them to see what you would qualify for because they will look at your debt to income ratio. With a 630 credit score, you should be able to qualify for FHA financing putiing 3.5% down. Contact me if you would like more info.

Thank you!
Nanette Minnick

There are many variables... but there are many home buying options, including USDA! Every situation is different and because of that, you should talk directly with a loan officer/lender.

The best advice we can give you is to meet with at least two mortgage brokers and seek their advice.  The best of luck!

What do I think?   Maybe.     I did notice you didn't mention down payment amount or the amount you are considering for purchase price.   Make sure you have enough money for an emergency fund in addition to purchase expenses before you jump into a purchase.

Why not play with the affordability calculator for a few minutes to see what you come up with.     

Here's a link to Zillow's buyer's roadmap.

Which first time home buyer program are you interested in?