Does Pa do judgement searches on the buyer and if so, what state or states are searched?

• February 04 2014 - Dallastown
  • 0

I have called Realtors and title companies, and everyone seems to be very vague in their answers. I just want to know if another state gets searched or if it's just local. And I want to know if it's just by name or social security number as well. We just had a judgement searched done. Afterwards they tell us that the one that gets pulled after a ratified contract is obtained, is more complete than that of what they just did. That does not help me! The whole point of looking now is to avoid an issue later.  An old judgement that appeared on the credit report fell off the report last year, and we are trying to determine whether it's gone or just in limbo somewhere. I don't want to get to closing and it present a problem. It was a District Court judgement...Not Circuit Court. 

Why not contact the title company to see exactly how they do it? I am sure some title companies are more thorough than others. 

It's public record and should be able to be done by just the first and last name. I would contact the county office or state office that can check the books for you. There will most likely be a fee but they can guide you from there.

How are the judgement searches done? Just by the buyers first and last name? With the buyers social security number?

The title company will run a search on the buyer as well as the seller. As judgments are public record, these generally show up (even if not on credit). The reason they run this check is they will not insure title if the buyer has an outstanding lien or judgment.

When I run credit, judgements DO show up on a credit report so if it is something that is filed through the county of the buyer or where ever they have lived in the past or present,  it will show up on the credit report. I just had a buyer go through this and the judgments had to be cleared up from the credit report.

However if the buyer is in NJ, for example, or has lived in multiple states and moving to PA there may be certain judgements that do not show up since the judgement search will only be in the state of PA if that is where the purchase is. If you need to check on all the states the buyer has lived then serperate judgement searches will need to be done in those specific states in addition.

Sorry for the confusion!

My question only pertains to the BUYER. I am aware that title searches are done on the seller. But I am also aware that states do a "Judgement Search" on the buyer. I am not asking about a credit check. There are no judgments on the credit check.....I want to know if Pennsylvania searches for judgments on the buyer and I want to know if they only look in Pa. 

Yes. Any judgements that follow the borrower on the credit report will need to be addressed regardless of the state. Judgements on title will be based on anything against the property if you are selling a property before the purchase will also need to be addressed prior to closing.  It is standard procedure.

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're asking about judgment searches regarding credit and purchasing a home, the lender does a credit check, and these things will most likely show up. I don't think it matters what state your in.