Profile picture for dad2boys jh

Does Procuring Cause Apply

I do not have a signed contract with any real estate agent. I am looking in many different part of the city. I have asked the selling agent to show me home. Figured they had a vested interest in showing home. In one instance a colleague was sent out that was not actually the listing agent but was on the listing agent's TEAM. The agent is very inexperienced which makes me uncomfortable. I have interest in the house but would be more comfortable with an experienced agent to represent me. Does the first agent have procuring cause even though I did not request her. What are my options.
  • January 21 - US
  • 0

Procuring cause is determined in a hearing when there is a dispute between two agents/brokers. You should have your agent settle this with the listing agent's team leader.

• January 22

Two points here. One is that Procuring Cause is often difficult to prove and many agents would not even bother to try. In this case, you found the home, not the agent who showed it to you. But as you have noted, it is a potential problem.Maynard gives good advice - talk to the Board.
Secondly, why would you not have an agent to represent your interests. It costs you nothing and they would not be working for the seller. Many agents work in a surprisingly large area and you will probably find one who would work for you wherever in the city you decide to buy.
  • January 22

Its hard to tell for sure without knowing the local laws, you can check with the local board of realtors or your states real estate commission.  However, the best advice is if you are serious about buying a home and you want your own representation, the first thing you should do is find a buyers broker to represent you before you start looking at homes. Many states allow dual agency, letting the listing agent represent the buyer as well, but I would not recommend it.
  • January 22

Profile picture for Maynard Gottlieb
I would contact your local board of Realtors, that would be my first place to start in determine the answer. 
  • January 22