Profile picture for jha_savi

Does Solar panel creates issue during resell?

If I decided 2 have Solar panel on my roof of home in Needham, will it be a prob if i decide 2 sell? Any one has any experience on this ?  What if new owner doesn't want it.
Any known issue in general with having solar panel not related to resell
  • July 22 2012 - Needham
  • 0

If properly installed and used for source of heat or electricity, solar panels may increase the value of your home. It may be prudent to replace the roof prior to adding solar panels, if the roof is older. 

Profile picture for jha_savi
Thank you Masha.

Roof is brand new, 6 months old.  I am getting good company to install and I hope I'll do my share on green energy and small benefit in reducing electricity bill (10%). 

Profile picture for Newton EcoBroker
That is good on the roof. You may want to check out a company like Alteris Solar and the like. They have an interesting program where they intall the panels, you only pay a small deposit $1000-$2000 or so, and they maintain them for the life of the panels. You enjoy the energy savings, and they make a bit of money when they can sell back the excess energy to the grid (they skim off a kw/hour or a small fraction and thus make up the cost of install and maintenance over time). Its a good concept and I think the future of the industry. (I am in no way affiliated with them). Good luck, and, as an EcoBroker, I salute you for thinking of sustainability.

Profile picture for lynchdawg
I recently learnt that if you are leasing the solar panels, you want to read the solar company agreement very carefully. They have limited time for transferring the service to the New home buyer. On an average it is 5-6 years and after that you are solely responsible. In most cases you have to buy them outright, if the new buyer is not willing to take over the lease. Also most buyers do not like the length of the lease term which can create a potential problem from a selling point of view. 

I do not think that solar panels would hurt the sale of a home if anything I think it would help!

There isn't an excess till you have a positive on the usage side. If you
are only installing a couple of panels then it will help (the 10%) you mentioned...maybe.
So will changing to lower energy light bulbs and turning the stat. down at
night, which costs very little.

If you want the panels you should install them but if you think it is this
big plus on a selling feature, I would say that you would be more wrong
than right.
If you think they would be a problem to a buyer later, well the first thing I
would think of (as a buyer) is what if something happens to the roof under it? What if the installation itself is or will be the problem.

Its like skylights ...it isn't if they are going to leak, its when.
-Joseph-

My suggest would be save some old electric bills and keep track of the new.  You can show a comparison down the road of your savings.