Profile picture for 4garymorrison

Does Zillow Phone Verification work with my google voice number?

I want to complete and post a rental ad and when I click call my phone I do not receive a call from Zillow so i can not post my ad. I don't want to re key in the information again. Help
  • April 29 2012 - Long Beach

Profile picture for GraphexTwin
That sounds like quite a limitation that Zillow is forcing upon itself. As a software engineer, I understand that limitations in services such as 2-factor authentication systems exist, but without other verification options, or the ability to avoid displaying the phone number, Zillow is creating a very poor experience for an important class of users.
It is ironic that Zillow is verifying phone numbers for the security of its users, yet in publicly displaying those phone numbers, it is significantly hindering the security of landlords, a class of users that one would think Zillow has a special interest in providing solutions for.

Zillow does not verify using VoIP services such as google voice.   One can have a US based number anywhere in the world with google voice and the other VoIP service providers.

Profile picture for GraphexTwin
This is a big issue. I can't even get Zillow to call my google voice number at all, I get an immediate error message as soon as I press the "Call My Phone" button, like the verification service is not even attempting to dial the number. I turned off call screening and have my GV number forwarding directly to my cell phone, but the verification service Zillow uses still won't attempt to call the number, giving me the error message:

There was a problem making your verification call. Please make sure you are using a US based phone number and try again. 
If you are experiencing difficulties, please contact Customer Support and mention your phone number.

In response to Ice L.'s post, it does not contain extensions, forward to an automated message and is located within the US (a Colorado area code). So no, I do not understand why Zillow is not supporting this. Zillow hides my email address, but displays my phone number? How is that even remotely safe?

Profile picture for mezzofortissimo
I got it to work today! I forwarded the google voice number to our home phone. You have to make sure that settings are right so you don't have to push 1 to accept the call, otherwise, the google voice talks over the zillow voice. Once you have google voice set to forward to your home or cell phone, get yourself verified. Then you can do what I do and just reset the google voice to go straight to voice mail again. Took a few tries, but we finally got it all to work! Hope you get yours to work too!

• Ice L.Zillow
Hi All -

Unfortunately, no. If your phone number contains extensions, forwards to an automated message, or is a remote phone number, the phone verification will not work.

Thank you for understanding.

Ice

Profile picture for mezzofortissimo
I'm having the same problem. No way in the world am I going to post my regular phone number on the internet... too much data mining from blood-sucking realtors. Made that mistake once, and 6 months later I'm still getting unwanted calls. Hope their customer service gets back to both of us about this issue!