Profile picture for BoatMarc

Does Zillow differentiate between Condos and Townhomes?

Condo owners basically own from the drywall inward.  Townhome owners (in a townhome association vs a townhome style condo) own the entirety of their section of the building, the land under it, and often some land extending outward from the building.  The units in the association where I live are listed as Condos by Zillow, but are legally townhomes as in the desciption above, including owning the land beneath and 3 ft out from out exterior walls.  Townhomes usually have a higher market value, pay lower maintenance fees, higher taxes (as none of  the taxes on the units are paid by the association), and need a full homeowners insurance policy.
  • May 12 2011 - Northeast

Profile picture for BoatMarc
Thanks for that insight.  I understand what you mean about the zoning issue.  Our community was started in the 80s as a condo development, but construction stopped when the condo market crashed.  In the early 2000s, an executive w/ Lennar decided to finish the project with Townhomes and gift the lots with the purchase of townhomes from a not-for-profit foundation they created.

Since I posted the question, I did find that I could edit the facts about my 2 units.  Unfortunately, I don't think that I am allowed to do so for all the other units within our Townhome owners association. 

Even in California, between counties, there isnt ONE standard , unfortunately, and lots of confusion. I wouldnt trust ZIllow to know the difference for every area in the US.

Remember ZIllow is free, it does the best it can. It goes by zoning only. In the county I live in, the zoning for condos and townhomes is exactly the same. In adjacent LA county its completely different.

Zillow DOES give you the ability to EDIT your description and clearly report to other what your home is or isnt....

MLS systems, which cost money, on the other hand always differentiate, but even between MLS systems in the same state there are differences....