Profile picture for arbritton

Does adding a privacy fence increase your home value? Price quotes from $4600 to $5200 for my yard

• Question refers to 1057 Pawnee Trl, Madison, TN 37115
  • 0

Profile picture for Mills Realty
Now I'm guilty of responding to an old thread!  I should have checked the date before responding.

Profile picture for Mills Realty
Hard to answer that questions as it is subjective upon the buyer.  I wouldn't spend the money on a privacy fence if your only objective is to add value to your home as there are other things you can do that will add real value like landscaping your front yard. 

Profile picture for brookeanne
I would think it would decrease it. It would feel like living inside a fortress.not being able to see outside your own yard.

Profile picture for real estate mike
Yes, but how much of an increase only an appraiser knows. There are two reasons why it does. If all your neighbors don't have one then you've upgraded and the improvement is worth $x more. If your's is one of the only ones without the fence then you've brought yours up to par, so you don't get deducted for not having a normal improvement in the area. If you have a third to half acre lot or more, in my experience, that 4,600 isn't bad. For a smaller zero lot to 1/4 it's on the high end, maybe. There are many variables like how many gates, caps(top), quality of wood, etc.

Also, do you know how many linear feet you're getting?  I may know of some great companies that can quote a better price.

I think privacy fences often help to sell a home, but don't necessarily get back every dollar that was put in.

In today's market, there are a lot of houses for buyers to choose from.  The question used to be "at what price will this house sell?"  Now the question is "will this house sell?"  Houses need to be in tip-top shape, and the more selling features - the better!

I put a privacy fence in my yard.  I'm getting great use out of it now.  When I sell my house it will help my house sell, although it won't necessarily recoup the money I put into it.