Does it seem to you that most negative comments come from unidentifiable persons?

Just a question: I've been involved in answering and posting questions on zillow. Some answers I've read that are Negative and Demeaning to either the person asking the question or those who answer the questions. Some are very attacking and rude. I thought isn't this a place to find information, to ask and get answers to questions posted? Why do some and a lot without indentifying themselves answer so poorly? Is it necessary?

August 06 2009 - Manchester

Many here like their right to privacy. If you are implying that I hide behind my online name, you bet your booty I do! lol Why should I go online and give out personal info, yet tell my kids not to?

Plus, I'm not held to the same standard or legal liablity as agents, and therefore can, and do, say more. Agents in my state can't even mention what they think a price of a house is worth, because that is only an opinion... they can't mention a lot of things. The people that come here want honest advice, the final decision is left to them.

There are some bad apples in every bushel, but I think most people are polite and respectful both to question askers and other posters. Most try to post helpful information and links for the asker without resorting to personal attacks or nastiness of any kind. I guess I must've missed the thread that you are referring to, but if you see posts that are offensive you should flag them and Zillow will remove them.

You have been on Zillow for about 5 months, so maybe you would be kind enough to post the thread that offended you. Many people on the board have had experiences with realtors and in real estate that they have strong opinions about. Realtors may not like that, but it is part of any profession and part of any public forum. Not all posters post negative things, but with thousands of people sitting underwater in their homes people are bound to be frustrated with the shiny happy picture. That being said, I find most posters are helpful and respectful of others. However, respect is earned and not given as part of a professional license package. All posters are entitled to have opinions and I think the honest discussion does a lot to make other people on the board think about different points of view from their own.

Profile picture for silent_observer
we all have respectable jobs and don't want to be caught by the employer :-)

Profile picture for workabee
Yeah it's necessary when some agents treat people like idiots and expect to get kiss at the end of the post for it. Deliver info or help, you're on the cool list. Post arrogant crap, you're on the tool list. So says an unnamed poster.

Oh, if you've only been on Zillow for 5 mos, then maybe some history should be said that goes back at least 2 years. Many regulars here have been called 'doomers' and 'cheerleaders'. Some have even been tracked down and harrassed, forcing a name change. The doomers were saying don't buy, the market is falling, which we all now know as true. The cheerleaders were buying into the agencies bs, that was saying the market will recover in 2 mos, 6 mos, or even that it was increasing, which was false, as we know now.

Overall, the people here are very knowledgeable about the market, and many have been nice, and honest in their opinions. Even the ones I argue with I typically respect.

If you want to see me angry, it's when I hear an agent say 'it's a great time to buy' or 'there's wonderful deals to be made', or something to that affect. That implies that the agent knows the PRICE, and is predicting the FUTURE of the PRICE, which is considered illegal and unethical to say in our state.

Agents should never tell a buyer or seller what they think the price is. They should gather the info for the buyer/seller to review. They are hired for access to the MLS, knowledge of the area (sometimes), and to explain all the legal mumbo jumbo in the contract, along with helping the buyer/seller through the escrow process, of which there is a LOT to keep track of.

Profile picture for rjon.101
to not Dave and Lisa, you seem had much experiance whave had much exposure to the internet , this is the internet, you do not know who anyone is even if you think they posted their real name. And I sure do not care enough to go to all the trouble to check on who you are and if you are for real so what does it matter what the users name is if they did decide to use a real sounding name, As if I would want to drive across the country or even across town to verify your identity. So I dont care what your user id is. why do you care what my real name is . can you verify it is Raymond Jons and I live in Manhattan Beach, Ca . no you cant so why should I use it and if you could who would really care. Its not like any of us will ever get together for coffee. That is why my kids do not get together with people from the www.  Its a free webbsite don't personalize it if you think someone is not playing nicely.  ps they play nicer on Trulia because its all REAs saying the same NAR sales pitch of buy now ( if they all say it long enough at some pont in time they will be right)

It seems like there are postings like;

'Did you dig up your wife from the backyard before you sold the house?"

and

"Were you able to get the cannibals out of the attic?"

And these inflammatory comments always seem to be posted by someone who has signed up for Zillow that day and makes one or two comments before disappearing into the ether.

My absolute favorite is the joker that keeps posting

"Has someone died in this house?"

And the house is a 100 plus years old. Well lemme tell ya a little secret. Before there were hospitals everywhere...people died at home. And before there were funeral homes....they had the funeral in the parlor!

If someone was truly worried about someones ghost inhabiting a house, then maybe they should build a house brand new. But then they would probably ask;

"Was this house built on a cemetery?"

Welcome to the internet!   Is there any forum on the internet that doesn't have an apple or two who types things that wouldn't be said face to face?   As we get used to the internet, there will always be these bad apples and therefore to thrive in the environment one must have a good filter for rotten apples.

Is this something I support?  Of course not.

Is there a reason I need to put my name out to the big world?  I'm not an agent, a lender, nor offering legal or medical advice.  I'm offering an opinion for the requester to chew on.   Why does anyone need to know my name?

The most negative posts I've read were from Realtors, Contractors, and Lenders.  When my profile was linked to my house (which my old profile still is but most can't find it),  I had numerous contractors and realtors posting very negitive stuff on my house pages that had nothing to do with my house nor my area  And even though I didn't post my name, a couple of these "professionals" bothered to look up my name, where I worked, and then called and left a message for me at work with a harrasing statement!

And for the lenders; I posted a serious question regarding a concern of one of my neighbors, and I was constantly accused of lying and making stuff up by most of the lenders, stating the situation was absolutely impossible.

And as far as realtors giving "real" information, I wanted to confirm the name of a company one realtor posting was working for since that name was common enough to belong to several different active realtors, so I look up the address posted, and it is just a highway area along side a major golf course.  I mention it, and I'm accused of "stocking" something, and that the information I posted was totally false.  And another realtor posted an address for where he works that didn't exist that was across the street from his condo/apartment....

Anyone that wants to know can easily look up most things about me, including my birth place, birth year, phone numbers, addresses, websites, and licence numbers, all from stuff they can track down through this website.  But I'm not here to advertise, so I don't readily publish that info. 

But why so many "professionals" act so "unprofessional"; I have no idea.

rjon.101, I realy was hoping this was you . Dave, you've only been here for a short while. You have no idea how vile it was. Many of the posters from a year ago are gone and many who remain spend less and less time here in large part due to Zillow's failure to filter all the useless garbage posted as questions or discussions. It's too bad, because many good topics are lost in a matter of minutes. Add to this all the NAR scripted posts by  realtors who just found Zillow and we wholly become targets. Even when one of them sticks around long enough to defend their commission, integrity or any of the many other bs positions, their argument is based on nothing more than what they are taught to believe. We (realtors) deserve all the criticism and scrutiny handed to us here. There are many bad apples in our business, many and Zillow offers a small window for the rest of the world to keep us honest and become better informed.

You are right on the money jk. My tolerance for bad professional practice on the site is dropping rapidly. I feel as if I read one more realtor tell someone that they are eligible for the $8000 tax credit when they are clearly not or hard pitch their professional services to someone not even in their state or tell someone that it is a great time to buy when they live in an area with 14%+ unemployment and 30% foreclosures, I will surely die. There are good agent out there, but the noise from the marginal and outright bad agents is enough to drive you crazy.

Frankly, I don't expect the original poster of the question to even revisit this thread. I feel that posting it was meant as a slam for all that are not agents out hustling commissions. I have news for the OP. There are lots of people that have been helped by the unnamed posters on the board. That may not make licensed agent feel as happy or important as they might if this was a Trulia puff session, but it is the truth.

"many who remain spend less and less time here..."

The "home repair" catagory was really helpful and interesting, and I liked contributing since I have substantial experience and know many shortcuts, but still liked gaining the insight and shortcuts from the experience of others.

But when Zillow changed the name of that catagory to "home improvements", it became less than useless.  Now all it consists of is advertisments for outdated fads that will diminish the value of the property.

And most people can't even find that catagory anymore due to the subcatagories not being expanded in the list if one was not already in the major catagory it fell under.  The catagory index was much easier to use when it was a separate page before they crunched it into the left bar.

Profile picture for klarek the realist
Nobody is trying to hide anything, you tool.  What internet forums do people clearly identify who they are?  None, unless they have something to sell.  There is your answer.  "Positive" people aka agents on zillow who have for TWO YEARS been trumping up this b.s. market are here to make money and spread propaganda. 

"Nobody is trying to hide anything" -

except some  realtors and lenders, which is why they work so hard to spread propaganda.

Yes some professionals are here on the propaganda train. They have yet to realize that Zillow is not Trulia and the other people here have opinons that do not line up those promoted by the NAR. I have no problem with agents that are honest and here to help people or to promote their business within the board guidelines because that keeps the site up and running, but check your ego at the log in. Calling some of those so called "professionals" tools is an insult to tools everywhere. They are wedges here to manipulate not educate or inform. 

Truthfully, I am not sure how other agents and lenders that are professionals deal with those people on a day to day basis. It has to be frustrating to see your so called "colleagues" acting the fool or handing out incorrect information or pushing spam against board policy as you try to be professional, helpful and follow the rules. I miss some of the old realtors like Elv!s, Realtor GRI and many others that helped so many pull back the veil. I am glad that jkonstant and azrob are still here. For how long though, I don't know.

I miss Marcy! :-(

I miss so many people!

Zillow of New sucks eggs with all the junk in these forum. Drew... give us back Zillow of Old! Even with the bickering, it was far better.

Rental planning for beginners
Profile picture for Thor Thurneau
Latest reply by Thor Thurneau
February 20 2013 | 1 answers
RENTAL SCAM WARNING !!! PLEASE READ AND PASS ON!!!
Profile picture for Debra (Debbie) Rose
Latest reply by Debra (Debbie) Rose
Profile picture for Terri Linnell
Latest reply by Terri Linnell
  • Posted by Dave Griswold/ Lisa Payne-Griswold
  • In Rentals

1. 118 Walker St, Manchester, NH Home For Sale
    118 Walker St, Manchester, NH 03102

2. 37 Strawberry Hill Rd, Bedford, NH Home For Sale
    37 Strawberry Hill Rd, Bedford, NH 03110

3. 537 Currier Dr, Manchester, NH Home For Sale
    537 Currier Dr, Manchester, NH 03104