Does my Real Estate need an Inspection?

[promotion removed by Zillow moderator]

An experienced well qualified INSPECTOR could prevent you from paying out thousands in repairs: but only if you know about these problems BEFORE you buy. It's important you get this done prior to completing the sale.
  • April 24 2012 - Las Vegas
  • 0

Best Answer

Buyer should always get an inspection by a licensed inspector. It is a good idea and gives the buyer a chance to walk through the home and look at all the systems with the inspector. The buyer needs all the information on the home so he does not find surprises later. I hope my input will help.
Thank You
Suzie Marquardt

In most cases the bank won't require an inspection as condition of the loan. With FHA and VA loans the appraiser has some duties that might pass as an inspection but their criteria only covers narrow specific areas of the property and thus can't be construed as a real inspection.

The homeowner is buying the home and the bank is providing the loan. Technically the bank doesn't 'own' the home unless the receive it back in foreclosure or deed in lieu. But I think you make a good point that perhaps banks should require an inspection from a licensed and certified inspector in the same way they require an appraisal (which of course is also paid by the buyer).

I have more of a question, A bank will provide a mortgage to any home regardless of a home inspection is done on it or not?I mean, after all, the Bank is the one that is really buying the home, so one would think the Bank would say it MUST pass the home inspection first before they lay out the cash for the home?
I am confused, something is not making sense here if that is the case.

Hello Mr. Tug of War:

Thanks for your comment.  "Brainteaser" says it all.  Have a good day.

Hi Cindy:  Thanks for your comment.  In most states that require licensing,it is illegal for the Home Inspector to make money even finders fee's from the purchase and sale of Home Warranties.

However, as a qualified advocate for my clients what I do is offer them on my website a link to a Home Warranty Commpany that offers expanded coverage and discounted pricing. I offer this as useful information and a resource for my clients in case they are not happy with the Warranty Companies offered by the Agent.

I do not make physical money from this but I do believe that it serves my credibility having already performed the research and leg work and offers them value added service that keeps them coming back time after time.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Every yard Sale I've been to people want to plug in that TV for Sale..
Why?..to be sure it works so they don't get ripped off for $20

When making a purchase of $100,000,,A quarter of a Million Dollars.. Half a Million Dollars..why a person would not want to plug that thing in
(Get an Inspection) is beyond me.....

The largest Financial Transaction of most peoples lives and they don't see the value of spending the time finding the best inspector they can and/or paying a few hundred Dollars to have the Product plugged in/checked out

Go figure...it's a Brainteaser

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
I've been thinking that someone should offer a product that is a combination of a home inspection and home warranty. It seems like a lot of people would be interested in a product where the home is completely inspected to the degree that it is warrantied.

Simple and effective. Thank you for your comment.

Always get an inspection!

I was thinking more about first time buyers instead of those who make $100k+ with plenty in savings.

Why someone with a good sized income and savings would not pay for a good inspection is beyond me.

I am still unsure of where to look or what to look for to find those who know their stuff instead of merely being adequate or "some yocal who is basically a liability case waiting to happen."

Dan:

Nice response. I'm not sure I agree with all of it but I can see that point of view. In my practice it is not the strapped for cash ones I see a lot of. Most of my customers are very well healed people who can afford 100 times over what they are purchasing.

With these people, its a sickness. An inspection can walk right out the door because some yocal down the street offers it less but also doesn't have your years of experience and qualifications.

Some of these same well healed people show up demanding discounts and if they don't get it, they go down the road to the same yocal who is basically a liability case waiting to happen. For them it isn't the amount of money. It's perceived winning the negotiation. It's a sickness.

As it stands right now, 40% of my business comes from other Inspectors who charge the cheap dollars and then pardon the expression "F'd Up". Upsetting the client and causing delays in the process having to perform it again.

Where I disagree with you is this, There are plenty of ways the smart consumer can find out and pinpoint a qualified Inspector. Plenty of boards to look at, plent of "Angies Listers". Its only the foolish and wreckless that takes a leap of faith when other tools are out there that can give them an edge.

Inspection isn't like Phase IV Cancer. Or some miracle cure. We don't have to thank 'God' there is someone to help. Inspection is a process provided by highly trained and skilled people nothing more. 

Use common sense, select wisely, don't believe that cheapest is the best, and follow along with a good methodical process. Stick to these things and your results should turn out fine.

"Any thoughts why a lot of buyers only perceive Inspection as an unnecessary cost"

I think I know. I worked hard. I sacrificed. I finally have a downpayment barely big enough to allow me to buy a house. Now They think I should spend another few $$$ to get something that may stop me from buying the house and cost me money I can not get back. I can barely afford everything involved in buying a house and an inspection just wants more money I can barely find.

I am not saying that is how it should be. It simply is what a lot of people end up thinking because they are already strapped from all of the other costs they can not avoid when buying a house.

"I have heard so much from some Clients and even their Agents as Inspection is nothing more than something we have to do to get past Title."

I see $$$ going away. It could blow up a deal. I just want to buy and nothing else matters. AFTER I buy a house I will complain about the problems I find. For now I just want the house.

"Don't people realize that the few dollars spent on Inspection is intended to save thousands even tens of thousands in costly repairs."

A lot do not. Never underestimate the understanding of those who buy property. They only know they want to buy a house and know almost nothing about the problems or issues that can come with a house.

"When we have an illness, we don't shop for Doctors like buying a used card. We want the best. So why don't we naturally want the best for our home. It is the single largest expense of our lives. Doesn't it deserve more consideration than a dismissive attitude?"

Sometimes when you need a doctor you take what is available. You are thankful someone is there to help. As you can not judge who the best is and do not know how to find out you take it on faith that the doctor you find is among the best.

The same thing happens often in finding a realtor, lender, and inspector. You just trust they are good and only find out how wrong you were after it is to late.

Dear Suzie,

I couldn't agree more.

Any thoughts why a lot of buyers only perceive Inspection as an unnecessary cost as opposed to something as important say, Heart Surgery?

I have heard so much from some Clients and even their Agents as Inspection is nothing more than something we have to do to get past Title.

Don't people realize that the few dollars spent on Inspection is intended to save thousands even tens of thousands in costly repairs.

When we have an illness, we don't shop for Doctors like buying a used card. We want the best. So why don't we naturally want the best for our home. It is the single largest expense of our lives. Doesn't it deserve more consideration than a dismissive attitude?

All thoughts and responses welcome?

Thank you Sunnyview. Comments much appreciated.

I think one of the best ways to get involved is by answering questions when people ask and by posting basic information that people can use. You can offer information about common inspection issues, interviewing an inspector, testing options during the inspection process, lead paint etc.

People reading the forum really appreciate honesty and having a professional offer their insight. I hope you post again soon and welcome to Zillow!

Dear Cindy:

Thank you for your response. Being new to Zillow, how can I get involved in the forums.

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
It would be quite nice to have the input of an inspector in the Zillow forums. I don't remember seeing much of that perspective here.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
wetdawgs nailed this one...Thank you both
Apologies if I wasn't as respectful as I should have been

Welcome to Zillow Integrityinspections and as a Great Philosopher said

Live long and Prosper

What a respectful response.   Thanks for taking time to read the Good Neighbor Policy integrityinspections.

My apology, I'm brand new to Zillow wasn't aware of the policy. Thanks for ppointing this out. I will be respectful in the future.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Does someone need to read the GNP?

"Be a Good Neighbor. Be respectful and on-topic. No spam or self-promotion! See our Good Neighbor Policy "