Does owning a home near a multi-pump gas station decrease the property value?

There is a proposal in our town for a multi-pump gas station to take over an intersection near a densely populated residential area, mostly owner occupied with a few scattered rental properties (homes). Area residents are concerns not only about increased traffic and pollution, but also about the property values of the homes... This is not new news- communities all over the country are fighting large chain gas-station-convenience-store developments. Are there any statistics regarding property value and proximity to multi-pump gas stations?
  • July 31 2013 - Newark
  • 0

Simply...YES....no matter what any body tells you something else...the closer you are to a busy intersection, especially one with commercial, the less desirable the property will be.....take out the extra traffic and increase in accidents , consider the crime factor that follows multi-pump stations with the store attached....good luck

Hello, In reply to SteadyState, the question was in regard to "statistics regarding property value and proximity to multi-pump gas stations". I would guess that the O.P. is looking to present that information to the city government. Do you know where the O.P. can get those statistics? Thanks, Sean

Profile picture for SteadyState
One does not need a study to infer the obvious - a fraction (no zero) numbers of potential buyers will be discouraged to buy the home because of increased fire risk and increased risk of robbery, traffic, etc.
I would not pay as much for a property near a gas station.

Hello User01348318, I am guessing you are talking about the one near Apple Rd. I understand your concerns. Unfortunately, I don't know of any definitive studies on this subject. I am sure some buyers would rule out properties close to a convenience store. Some buyers would view it as an added benefit to be close to a convenience store with a gas pump. Overall, I think it would not have a significant impact on the property values. I grew up near Apple Rd, so I wish you the best of luck in getting the City to consider your concerns. If you would like to discuss this with me, feel free to give me a call. In the meantime, I will see if I can find any information regarding property values being effected by this type of business. Best, Sean