Profile picture for jking066

Does the landlord have a legal right to make you sign another year lease?

I want to go month-to-month, but the owner said no. They want me to sign another year lease, but I want to move in a few months.   Do  they have that right?

January 18 - Oceanside

As a land lord in Pa if I told my tenant they had to sign another year lease and they told me NO I would ask them to vacant the property within 60 days.But I also make my leases to where I can do that . You need to read your lease .

January 18
For legal opinions, please review your lease and options with your attorney. 

For a non-legal opinion,  your landlord has no obligation to allow you to continue month to month so yes, they have the right to ask you to sign a one year lease to continue to live in a place.   Landlords are running a business, and month to month leases are really tough to manage.      So, apparently it now it is your choice.  You can sign a one year lease,  or you can move with appropriate notice (you are not obliged to renew), or you can try negotiating.  Perhaps you could offer to sign a six month lease at a higher monthly rate, or a month to month at a 15 to 20% monthly premium. 

I suspect you'd prefer CA landlord/tenant guide rather than NJ.   There are some numbers you can call for clarification of your concerns.

Good luck making a decision.

January 18
In NJ when your lease is over you do not have to renew. Without a lease you become a month to month tenant automatically. That means that either party can give. 30 days notice to end the agreement. So you would then have to leave in 30 days. If you'd like a copy of the Nj landlord tenant handbook message me

January 18
Profile picture for gator70
What does the contract say?

January 18