Profile picture for OlgaP2

Does the sqft for a house always exclude the finished basement on Zillow?

It seems to me that in the neighborhood where I live in Portland, OR the sqft for homes sometimes includes sometimes it doesn't include the finished basement. Is there any "rule" about this? How would one know what exactly the posted sqft includes?
  • November 11 2012 - Cedar Mill
  • 0

Best Answer

Zillow goes off the public record, as collected by third party data providers.  (Public records aren't perfect, and data collectors aren't perfect.)  You may wish to talk to your county records office to see what is on your record (sometimes you can obtain those on line).    If you consider it incorrect, then talk with the county assessor.  (Yes, it may affect your tax bill.)

In my area they consider basement as more than 50% below grade, therefore, most daylight basements from a house being on a hill are still considered basement.   I don't know how Oregon assessors consider basement area. 

Profile picture for OlgaP2
Thanks. I already edited the sqft for my home but what's shown didn't change. The update for sqft doesn't take place....  The last appraisal and the public records include the sqft for the daylight lover level....  I have no idea why Zillow would not want to make the change and I cannot get a reply...

There are public records, but they are certainly not consistent for below grade areas or for remodels in my area. It is used to be that Zillow included below grade sf, but since about last year our public records source changed and now they don't.

You can edit your home page as the owner and then put a note in the home description that includes your finished lower level. There is no way that I have found to effectively change the public record on Zillow, but if you update your page the Zestimate will work off your updates after a few weeks and not the outdated or incorrect public record.

Profile picture for OlgaP2
Thanks but I still do not understand. What we have is daylight basement. Everything is ground level as the house is built in a hill. Why wouldn't the relevant square footage be shown? When we had the house appraised the whole sq footage was shown. Isn't there a public record available for each property that is accurate and consistent? What does Zillow rely on for publishing this info? Who can change it? Also as I am looking for homes I can see that the listings provided by application such as LookingGlass go back to the public record and in many cases show different square footage than Zillow....

In general,  basements (below grade areas) are not included in the main square footage even when finished and heated.   Basement square footage is acknowledged separately (on Zillow you can describe if unfinished, partially finished or fully finished).     the $/sq ft for finished basements is considerably lower for basements than above grade finished areas, even at the same finish qualify.

There are times when neighborhoods are a mishmash with some showing basement and some not showing basement.  Usually this is a consequence of a listing when an agent called basement in the total square footage.   Occasionally the county appraiser makes this mistake.

Profile picture for OlgaP2
My current home (which was built in the 1970s with a finished, heated basement) is listed by Zillow with only half of its real sqft. Any reason why? Where does this info come from and who can correct it?

• Ice L.Zillow
OlgaP2 -

Generally, only finished, heated space counts, such as the main finished floors, a finished basement, and/or a finished attic. A finished garage that is attached to and part of the residence may be included in this calculation as well. Square footage is computed by multiplying the length and width dimensions of a finished area.

Ice