Does upgrades help enhance your selling price? I am including an one year old side-by-side (white)

and custom drapes.  I have spent around $8000 on upgrades and is move in ready.  The house is 15 months old.  I am asking $142,900 and it has approximately 1,416 square feet

September 04 2009 - Del City

Anytime you can offer appliances, window treatments and upgrades like low water toilets, especially "green items" you are ahead of the competition.  Just changing out all your light bulbs to compact fluorescents can make a big difference.  They cost very little to have on and last years longer than standard bulbs. 
I have a client that put an AC mister on his outside air conditioner and it saved him so far $100.00 per month over this summer on his electric bill.  The mister costs him less than $100.00 and he put it on himself.  When making upgrades think outside the box and make sure they are listed on your  info  in the MLS and here on Zillow so they help your house stand out.  Also lots of pictures  10 at least of every home  Take a picture of your  new improvements and put them in your listing.  I have a home listed that has a double oven, glass cook top, lazy susan cabinets and other really nice Kitchen features so we took pictures of them as well.  People shop on line for houses and the better you can describe your home the better chance you have to sell it.

Upgrades can help your house look better than the competition so it spends less time on the market and, maybe, gets an offer closer to or at the asking price.  As wetdawgs says, it is unusual to recover the full cost of upgrades when you sell.

Upgrades do affect selling price, but it is not dollar for dollar.   If you've put $8,000 in, the return is likely to be $2 to $4. in a normal market.   I don't know the sales market of your area.