Profile picture for dcsath

Doesn't a finished daylight basement count towards the total square footage?

I have a finished basement with heat, and windows and doors to the outside. In my listing on Zillow, the square footage given is for the main floor only. Is this the correct way it should be listed? Since the basement area is liveable, shouldn't the basement be figured into the total square footage?
  • March 23 2011 - Salem
  • 0

Profile picture for rockinblu
If it was me, I would edit the home facts to reflect the assessors total.

Profile picture for dcsath
On the Marion County (Oregon) Assessor's Property Records it states that the "living area" of my house is 2296 sq.ft. On Zillow it states that the house is 1540 sq. ft. and then it lists the basement on a different web page as 756 sq. ft. (which totals the 2296). I think people will see the first figure and think the house is too expensive for that size, not realizing that there is additional square footage in the liveable basement, which I consider an integral part of the total living space. 

I do a lot of valuations for banks and they typically do not count the basement Sqft. but that is really a vague area as they will count a daylight basement with a walkout. When I do valuations for listing clients I usually give  the basement a 50% credit for SqFt if it is all below grade.

You might check with a Local Agent or wait for one to chime in - I work on the other side of the Cascades - and one area I work it would be counted and you would be taxed on it too the other - it would not - we do not see basements in my area much so it is always a question.  Melina Tomson of Tomson Burnham would be who I would call - she is an awesome agent and knows that area very well.

When I was looking at houses in one city in  Oregon in the last two or three years, the below grade area was not counted in the square footage reported in MLS, but basements were called out separately (even when finished and walk out).

What does your property tax assessment say for your house?

Profile picture for rockinblu
Keep in mind dcsath, Steve probably is not licensed in Oregon, or Illinois for that matter. Ours was a walkout (maybe that's not considered below grade), and it was counted when we sold, and it was counted again when our buyers re-sold the house 2 years later. The tax assessor certainly included it.

Not if it's below grade. It certaintly is mentioned and used for marketing purposes, but should not be counted in the standard representation of living space. The exception could be a split entry which is 1/2 below grade.

Profile picture for rockinblu
It was on our house in Illinois. I haven't a clue though about Oregon. Hopefully some Oregon people will jump in on this.