Doing some work on house we bought, want to be resell minded - Vinyl Plank Flooring

Picked-up our keys yesterday, had flooring guys in there yesterday. Were thinking re-engineered or laminate and the company (reputable) is steering us away from these and towards Vinyl due to the fact that we'll be installing a pool and having wet guests/kids coming in and out of two of our back doors. Guys are claiming unless you're in the business, you'd have a tough time telling the difference between our original options.

I want to be resale minded so here's my question, anyone listed or shown a home with this type of flooring and what were the potential buyers reaction to the flooring IF they knew it was Vinyl. The house is an upscale come in a nice gated community.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

August 20 2013 - US

Profile picture for emilikins
My sister put in "high-end" vinyl flooring in the kitchen of her very nice custom home, because she was worried about the Great Dane scuffing up the floor. I don't know how it'd go in resale, but she's darn picky, and we actually thought it was hardwood until we touched it. Then we didn't think it was hardwood, but we were surprised it was vinyl!

I definitely understand the floor guy's concern with water dripping in from the pool. Not knowing the comparative costs, I'd say, if you plan to be in the house for a long while (10 years instead of 5), go with the vinyl, with it in the back of your head that you might have to switch to hardwood if that's the demand of the market in your neighborhood when it comes time to sell. It'll probably hurt less to swap out in a decade (if necessary) than install now and replace/restore down the road. But this is without estimates.

However, even if you have a tough time telling the difference yourself, you won't be able to list hardwood if you don't have it. And some people can't see past that. They don't know why they want hardwood, only that HGTV has told them it's a MUST!