Profile picture for coinspinner1

Done with Zillow

Your data is never up to date and the majority of homes I have looked at have already been sold or are under contract.  Its alot of fun spending days looking at homes that ARE NO LONGER FOR SALE... Whos done using zillow and will never recommend it?  This guy.

October 21 2011 - Fort Washington

Spinner - What are you waiting for?
Think of Zillow as the color-coded map at the mall. It gives you an idea of what's out there and where it's located, but not what's on the shelves ;)  Meet with a few realtors - find one you trust and click with as your Buyer's Agent. A good one will ensure you end up happy in the right home at the right price.

Zillow, and sites like it, a great starting point.  I am sorry you are frustrated.  Agents always seem to have a fight regarding Zillow and the zestimates.  Zillow could be up to 20% off in either direction!  Unfortunately, even the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) that agents use is not even always updated in real time and the information is only as good as what is input.

Having a buyer's agent who can help you navigate the listings is helpful. As a buyer you are not charged for the services of a realtor (their fee is paid by the seller out of the proceeds from the sale).  It can help lessen the frustration it sounds like you are feeling.   Be aware that as the last agent indicated, sometimes even with an agent, there are homes that don't show as sold.

Having a great team on your side (realtor, loan officer, title company) can help you to navigate a home purchase smoothly, and help the search and the whole process to be more enjoyable!

Good luck in your search for your new home!

It is extremely frustrating how agents don't keep their internet advertising up to date.  I am aware from some Zillow posts that they are frustrated with this lack of attention to detail, and as a consequence are installing more and more filters to cause listings to expire.  Of course, that makes others annoyed!

I can see how frustrating that is.  Believe me, it is for us as agents.  But there may be a few reasons why Zillow is out of date.  Some MLS systems take 24-48 hours or longer on weekends/holidays to update their data.  Thus, a home that may have just sold still looks for sale.

Another tip I can give to you is to never trust any internet website (not just Zillow) 100%.  Contact the listing agent of the house you are interested in and find out directly from him/her.

Unfortunately, not everything is updated instantly.  For instance, I showed a couple a wonderful home on a Wednesday.  They were ready to make an offer.  As I normally do before filling out the Offer to Purchase and Contract, I called the listing agent to make sure there were no issues.  He proceeded to mention to me that an offer had been received and accepted on the previous Friday but for some reason the MLS had not updated it. 

My buyers weren't happy and neither was I.  We ended up putting a back up offer (allowed in NC) just in case and eventually they purchased another home I showed them.