Double Vanity Sink Necessary?

Right now we have a single vanity sink in the master bath. All the homes forsale in the neighborhood at the moment have double vanity. Should we upgrade prior to putting the house on the market? I am having problems finding a double cabinet/sink combo for under 750 bucks! I keep hoping craigslist will pop something. Do not want to spent a lot of money etc....

March 18 2013 - US

Unless the current vanity  has a defect or looks bad, I would just leave it alone. If for some reason it does become an issue , you can always offer to change it out as part of a contribution to the buyer.

Awesome thanks Mike. It's still new. 6 years old.

If you live with my wife then yes it is.  Its one of the things we had to have in our master bath when we were picking out our house upgrades on our new house build.

It will not hurt to put a double vanity sink in.  All the new homes we build have them in the master bath.  I have had several people mark an existing home off of their list because it only had one sink.  The last thing you want to do is fight with your spouse or partner in the morning over the ONE sink.  

Everyone loves double vanity sinks...I would spend the money and do the upgrade...one less thing the new buyer will have to do.

It's a 60" sink also (which is why its hard for me to find one on craigslist! haha). My wife stays home with the kids, which is why we put only 1 sink in when we built the house in 2007. If I could find one for $500 or under I would purchase and install it. I just am not willing to pay 1k for it right now if you know what I mean....market is not quite that promising yet.

It might help to frame the question differently:

If I'm selling a property worth (100k, 200k, 500k, fill in your amount), isn't it worth $1200 to purchase and install something that will make my commodity stand out over the other properties for sale, rather then complain to everyone that will listen about how difficult it is to sell my home?

Unless you live in some ridiculously low inventory area like an island with one large estate, you need to do everything you can to assure your home sells. Many of these things involve some fresh paint, getting rid of the piles of underwear in the corner, hiding the Neon signs, and other inexpensive details. When possible, if there is an upgrade that most buyers want, and you can front the money, you should do it.

Now, some people will re-do their entire kitchen before they sell it but this sounds masochistic to me cause you'll have to stare at your dream kitchen that you'll never get to use. But changing a vanity, or toilet, or a few window treatments, doesn't normally cost much relative to the selling price of your home and may make the difference between your property sitting for 6 months or selling in 6 weeks. Buyers have choices, and you should make it easier for them to decide that yours is the right one.

Good advice Seth.

I might have found one for 575.
:D

You can purchase a single vanity that looks a lot better then the ones your competition has. I sell many homes a year and no one has ever not purchased a property due to single or double vanity.

I thought of that as well. A 60" does not look good with a double, plus it's not real practical because it does not leave you any countertop space.

Wow, there's something I never would have considered. Needing 2 sinks? Can't you brush your teeth in the guest bath if you are pressed for time? Around here, if you can't sit on the toilet, brush your teeth and stick your feet in the shower at the same time your master is considered spacious!

Profile picture for AlissaGreer
I prefer houses with a single vanity sink, why waste extra counter space and why have an extra sink to clean. We also generally never have any issues with getting ready in the morning, and should the rare need arise, there is another bathroom. 

As a designer I don't think a double bowl is worth it unless you have
a bigger area because you loose the counter space on 60in.
I also don't think a person should use 60in of space just because it
is there to use..you can sometimes make a bathroom seem small
and cluttered if you try to stuff oversized objects in them.

I have replaced many 60's with free standing 48-49's move them 6in
from the wall (so mid sized or full sized ) towel can hang down.
They are usually located with the commode on the other side and that
gives you more room there.

That is a box store vanity with granite top, 500. will buy those all day.
You may also find a reduced depth if you are looking to gain some
more room, many people don't even know it is reduced they just
feel like the room is bigger.
-Joseph-

"SOLD" sign
Profile picture for Anetta Bani Hani
Latest reply by Anetta Bani Hani
44 minutes ago | 8 answers
Staging a home to sell
Profile picture for Jason Sweet
Latest reply by Jason Sweet
1 day ago | 1 answers
Seller Paying Closing Costs
Profile picture for Lluvia Martinez
Latest reply by Lluvia Martinez
Why has no one considered a class action suit against Zillow
Latest reply by Pasadenan
September 05 | 37 answers
Going from a 3 bath house to a 2.5 bath house. Will it hurt my resale value?
Profile picture for Gerald  Feenstra
Latest reply by Gerald Feenstra
September 02 | 4 answers

Sign in with Google