Profile picture for jma5446

Downtown Renaissance

How will the multitude of development projects downtown (Oxbow market, Riverfront, Ritz Carlton, etc.) affect nearby real estate prices? I think these are positive changes for downtown Napa that will increase the desirability of nearby homes, but at the same time will an influx of tourists have a negative effect on the desirability of living near downtown?
  • July 17 2007 - Napa

I think that the development will have a positive influcence, because its bringing new life to Napa, a place which has suffered for a very long time from being very dead. When I first moved here, the feel of the town was dead, grim and depressing. I talked with many locals who said that many attempts had been made to liven things up, but nothing really stuck. Now, it seems like efforts are finally sticking. Napa has always been a great place in terms of beauty, peacefulness, safety, etc. Now, its also becoming a great place in other ways as well. When I go downtown, even on a weekday night, there are people out and about! This wasn't the case at all when I first moved here in 2001. I'm very excited about the many projects and efforts going on which are good for the environment as well.

It's great that the periphery is being developed by hoteliers that will draw affluent visitors to Napa. This will make downtown housing stock and Alta Heights rise in value, given their charms. Until there is a consistent critical mass of retail and dining installed in the core of downtown, it will remain a blight. Those who visit and walk through downtown will do so only once - there is little reason to return. The first step for the City Council would be forcing the County offices into an office park, rebuilding the style of structure these awful buildings replaced, and giving the owners of the downtown mall an option - redevelop or be condemned. Napa could be a attractive as Sonoma, Yountville or Calistoga, but it won't happen without some pressure from a vision[aries] with power to challenge the current ownership structure. And it ain't happenin' now.