Profile picture for awhlee

Dryer vent installation recommendation?

I recently purchased a property in the Tahoe Keys and I was a bit surprised to find out that the unit that I have is very challenged when it comes to venting the dryer in the upstairs hallway closet.  I think that it may be possible to vent up through the roof but I was hoping to get an expert opinion.  Any recommendations?

• June 09 2014 - South Lake Tahoe
  • 0

Profile picture for awhlee
Dryer Vent Wizard did a great job for me.  They vented the dryer out of an existing (unused) vent through the roof.  It was a big deal because there was a ton of lint building up in this close that also housed the water heater and the furnance.  Fire waiting to happen. 

Thanks all!
--Tony

Profile picture for Blue Nile
Electric dryers don't need outdoor venting; only if there is combustion.  Dryer vents are rarely out the roof, and the materials are not designed for that, and with the typical lint that gets into the dryer vent (even with the dryer filter), going "up" long distances is usually not a good idea.  And you want as straight a path as possible, usually through an outside wall.

I have seen going through the floor, and in the crawl space under the house to the outside wall.  I have seen going through the ceiling, and above the ceiling to the outside wall.  And I have seen going behind the washer to get to the outside wall.

I have never seen a gas dryer vented through the roof and do not believe it meets the building codes.

It is possible the hallway closet is not a suitable space for a gas dryer.

Where-ever the vent is placed, it should be relatively easy to inspect it, and to clean it out.  Lint in a dryer vent is a fire hazard, not to mention it could stop the dryer from heating, and could cause carbon monoxide in your living space.

wasn't there a vent installed? I would think that would have been code

Profile picture for joeluht
If you can get it in the attic then you could take it out the side of your house or in the soffit which is the area that your roof overhangs the side of your home. It shouldn't be to expensive to get a contractor to take care of that for you.