Profile picture for Dunes....

Dunes Tavern & Conspiracy Center

I've noticed the last couple of days that there are a few familiar faces wandering the Halls...So here's what I thought

It would be nice to have a place to BS once in awhile with old Friends, shoot the Breeze, argue a bit, compliment Dunes oh wait ,,scratch the last one didn't mean to say it out loud..

Anyway I know that I and I'm sure the others who drop by would like to meet others here also..Goof off, talk serious, not talk serious, trade videos , news, yadda yadda...So

ALL are welcome...There is no set topic, it's hopefully a place you can relax, drink a beer, a glass of wine and enjoy some conversation with some people..

No Badges, Ribbons or Attitudes allowed
  • July 24 2010 - US
  • 22

Profile picture for Reallyfedup
When I was a kid we used to go to the public pool and hang out at the concession stand.  If I had a dime, I could get a box of pretzel sticks and use the remaining nickel to play the juke box.  For some reason I was fascinated with the song Age of Aquarius by the Fifth Demension.  I played that song everytime I had the chance.  Any time I hear that song now, I'm taken right back to that time and place.  Innocence, carefree, childhood, and summer.  If it were only that simple again.

Rblu
In 1969 or 70, right after Woodstock, the College in my hometown (now Winthrop University) had a festival at the "College Farm", which was practically in my back yard. Me, at 7, and my 5 year old sister wandered over and were befriended by a lady in one of the bands. I still think it was Grace Slick. We got the cute little kids backstage experience. We jammed hard.  Jefferson Airplane, Sly and Family Stone, Strawberry Alarm Clock, and more.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Patrick,

You didn't start dancin' around without clothing did you? I'm sure you know what play had that song in it very prominently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_(musical)#Songs

Hamp,

Hanging out with Gracie at seven.........I guess that explains it. lol
Terrific story. That's one hard to top.

There's a great tangent. In the 80's my Mom was the hospitality coordinator at the Carowinds Paladium. My sister worked with her. Jefferson Starship played there. Grace and my Sis hit it off as if they were long lost BFFs.

I was on the stage crew there for two summers. Lunch with Eddie Money. I got picked to guard the dressing room door after the Night Ranger concert, they had invited about 150 ladies backstage. Oh to go back there with my current quiver of arrows.

Profile picture for Reallyfedup
I've been dancing around without clothes long before Hair!

Hamp - now you behave, and keep your quiver where it belongs! 

pssst........Patrick - I know you have....I peeked!!

Rockinblu
I'm like the Forest Gump of music. In 1983, I was onstage at the Carowinds Paladium, with the Sugar Hill Gang. I had provided some off the books hospitality coordination. That concert is widely held as the birth of Rap. I think I was the lone Caucasian on the stage.

I have also been an "extra" on stage with Jimmy Buffet. I was wasting away in Margaritaville, with my wife (GF then) and sister, and some other folks.

Profile picture for rockinblu
I always liked Eddie Money's cover of Smokey Robinson's "You've Really Got a Hold on Me," but there's still nothing to top the real deal.

Tonight we welcome back Phyllis Ann McArthur.

Can't remember why she left Zillow.

Sometimes being old and forgetful has it's advantages.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Mike,

While it could of been a coincidence, one time I gave Phyllis a very hard time about her propensity to post, almost in a leap frog fashion, on the sticky threads and after that she sort of disappeared.

I'm glad she's back, and I hope she stops by and gives me a hard time about something or other.

Just reading about Ed Rosenthal, a real estate broker from Culver City who was lost for six days in Joshua Tree National Park before being rescued.

Rosenthal, a poet who was never without a pen, began to write messages on his khaki hat telling his family that despite his terrible predicament, it was 'still a great time to buy' (ok, maybe not).

He's resting well in the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery. And I must say he's a stronger man than me, as I probably would've pulled into the fetal position after day one.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-hiker-recovering-20101002,0,4761206.story

Profile picture for blank screen EXILED
They mentioned it on national public radio news today too...

Profile picture for blank screen EXILED
69 posts in 24 hours; 582 views in 24 hours; views to post ratio of 8.6.

This excluded the deleted posts, but not the views made by the deleted poster.

25466 views now; 43245 to pass the record; need 17779 more views
-->  31 more days at 582 views per day.

I don't think we will make it by the election.

While gowing up with 2 older sisters and 1 older brother, I heard songs like Hang on Sloopy, Crystal Blue Persuasion, Double Shot of My Baby's Love, over and over and over and over,. Then at 12, I snuck into the Oporto National Guard Armory to see this band, Rock, this was a defining moment for me! Hamp, you have a very interesting musical background, was your mom AKA Rainbow, or Moon Beam, or Sativa, anything like that?

Profile picture for rockinblu
Clay,

WOW!!! My oldest son would kill for that. I'm going to do a screen print to torture him with it.

How could that not have been a defining moment after being put through what your sisters put you through. lol

What an introduction to jammin' rock. Man oh man.

Rock, here is another pic after they ditched the hotel wait staff uniforms. I was hooked after seeing Duane.

Another Pic

Profile picture for rockinblu
Clay,

Thanks so much. I'm going to print that one as well.

Funny story... at SXSW about 4 years ago while we were going in and out of clubs on sixth street taking in the music, we got stopped at the door at one club because of it being a private party by invitation only. My oldest son called the door guy's attention to his Duane Allman t-shirt that he was wearing and asked "How about this? Does this get us in?." The door guy stood aside, and extended his arm towards the door almost in a bowing manner.

Don't remember too much about it, but I've been told we had a terrific time. lol

We got to meet Greg back in the 80's through an introduction by mutual friends (local band). I don't think Mrs. Rockinblu has ever come down. She was calling friends at 3am to tell them about it, to which they probably replied "yeah whatever"...click.

Hey Clay my Mom was raised in Greenville, SC. Needless to say, after that, she was not into the hippie sh!t in 1969. In fact, when my Sister and I finally moseyed home from the Rock Show, we were both Tied to the Whipping Post!

Profile picture for ratrace_1
Assumptions were made, I hope I did nothing wrong, to contribute in this thread  craziness will be fun.  I have a lot  of friends about to join, it will be great.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Clay,

Below are a couple of shots Mrs. Rockinblu took the night we met Greg. He was sitting in (yes sitting in) with a St. Louis band ( Mama's Pride ) that was an opening act for The Allman Brothers for a while. He was fresh off his divorce from Cher and just trying to "find" himself again after all the Hollywood crap.

.

Profile picture for Reallyfedup
He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!  And digging up old, old threads.

Let the games begin!

Yeah....might sit this one out.

I've discovered I can't flag comments made on postings over 3 years old.

Guess he has figured that out, too.

Reminds me of one of my favorite movies.

Can't find the clip, so this will have to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCTK322Sowc&p=9FEED2F99A271E60&playnext=1&index=12

You can definitely flag old content. Give it another try. Flags make such pretty decoration.

I sure hope you're feeling better today Mike.

"Assumptions were made, I hope I did nothing wrong, to contribute in this thread  craziness will be fun.  I have a lot  of friends about to join, it will be great."

What are you talking about rat? It sounds like some one has a great imagination. That's fantastic for you. I'm sure that you can imagine a lot of things that aren't true that that is helps you stay positive I suppose.

Does it bother you that what you believe is not true or you you feel that if you magically believe and puff on that that others will believe it too? You know it reminds me of song here. Lovely mon petit rongeur.

Sunny, I wasn't able to flag those 3 year old posts, either.

I still can't flag posts on this forum, either!

Funny link, Michael - love the "Beserkguy" title!

Profile picture for rockinblu
Well folks it's been fun, but now my fun might becoming to an end very soon today. While we enjoy a nice stroll down to Maggie Mae's in absolutely gorgeous weather to watch the UT vs OU game, I will be fearing that we will be seeing Texas get their tails kicked by Oklahoma later. Texas really doesn't seem to be that good this year. :-(

Rock - don't give up hope..... you never know!  - my son roots weekly for the 49'ers (for years), and you know how bad they are - but he keeps rooting and hoping
!
I will root for UT today, too , Rock - GO TEXAS (how was that??)

(oh, your link to Maggie Maes didn't work)

@ Debbie & Mike Ok I take it back. Flag went and another didn't, so who knows. Doesn't really matter though. Anyone posting naughty on any thread where flags don't work just flag the profile page and put an another quarter in the jukebox.

Love the Greg Allman pics rockin!

Beautiful day here for a bike ride. Sunny and crisp. 

Profile picture for hpvanc
I can still flag, and I have been flagging left and right.  I'm going to enjoy the beautiful day, so hopefully someone else still has the ability.

hpvanc - zillow must like you better than me (and Michael and Sunny!!) , as I have never been able to flag anything on this forum...of course, most of what "The Group" says here  (my bad)  are words of wisdom,  humor and show great perspective!

:)

and on that note - I will go out and enjoy the gorgeous weather we have here today - 60's.... and not a cloud in the sky!
Have a great day everyone!

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 93
  4. 94
  5. 95
  6. 96
  7. 97
  8. ...
  9. 100