Entry Only Showings, good or bad?

I am curious to wanted to ask some buyers that are on Zillow, how do you feel about accompanied showings?  If you dont know what I mean, an accompanied showing is when the Listing Agent or Sellers Agent is at the property to let you and you Buyer Agent.  They are there to guide you and your Buyer Agent through the property?  

Does that get in your way to view the home comfortability and express your feelings to your Buyer Agent?

- Evan Russell

[link removed by moderator]
  • August 31 2010 - Boston
  • 0

As a buyer, I have no problem with it as long as they keep their mouths shut unless I ask questions, and let me look where I want to look at my pace.

As a seller, I have a serious problem with an agent allowing a potential buyer wander freely through the house without escort.

As a newbie to Zillow, please comply with Zillow policy and refrain from providing links to your website in posts.  If anyone wants to contact you, the info is (should be) available by clicking on your profile.

Evan, as an agent, I look forward to reading the posts that you receive from buyers.  My guess is that the response that you get will be that they prefer not to have the listing agent show them around.  Although we all know that there are some situations that arise where is it needed or requested by the seller.

Great feedback, appreciate the feedback.

- Evan

Angie, I completely agree, thanks for reading,

- Evan

Profile picture for hpvanc
As a buyer, I would have no problem with it as long as they let me look at what I need to see.  As a seller, it would definitely have its merits.  Just don't prevent a potential buyer from looking at what they feel they need to, not what the sellers agent thinks they need to see, and don't be pushy.

As a Buyer's Agent I would have no issue with this as long as the Listing Agent did not give us the "full tour". I am there to showcase the house for my client and guide my client through the home at our own pace. On another note it would allow myself and my client to get more face time with the selling side of the transaction and possibly seal the deal right there at the property.

Having been on both sides I would prefer a selling agent that is attentive (but not too much) and makes sure that the buyer's agent and the buyer are aware of all the important features of the property.

It is amazing how many buyer's agent whisk a buyer through a property (especially condos) without letting the buyer look at amenities even when the buyer asks to see the amenities (No don't have time Mr. Buyer, we are running late for our next appointment")

Profile picture for Gannet
As a buyer (and we will be buying within 6 months), I do not want to be "shown around" or "sold" in any way.  I do expect that the agent will keep an eye on me if the home is not empty, as a duty to the seller.  But other than that I want them to be quiet and speak only when spoken to.

And any agent that tries to rush me will be told to take me back to the office immediately, as they are obviously too busy to deal with lil ol' me.

Profile picture for Cambridge Agent

Well there are definitely 2 sides to this coin.  "Entry Only" can be a great for buyers as long as the seller (home owner) is not exerting to much of a presence during the showing.  There are tons of statistics out there that show buyers spend less time in a home when the owners are present.  It can make things extremely uncomfortable for some people which subconsciously may change their opinion of the home.    Buyers may end up with a steal though if the seller has not priced things properly

Sellers that go down this enhanced FSBO route now have a better chance of gaining some publicity for their listing. There is still a catch though,  how good of a job does their local MLS Board in syndicating listings on the Internet.   If you own a home in a popular area and price things properly you stand a shot of making out.  What you lack is the advice of a Realtor to help with pricing and negotiation.  This still make take time.  There are almost too many variables to answer in a short email blurb.

If I was selling my home I do not think I would go the entry only route.  I like the fact that an agent accompanies the clients and there is some responsibility and ownership on their behalf.    I like the fact I have representation and someone looking out for me on this important financial decision.  I always look for the expert when my interests are involved. 

Evan - I think we may be mixing concepts here. In my area, "Entry Only" means that the listing is posted to the MLS but the listing agent provides very limited service.

An "accompanied showing" is a showing of the house to the buyer with the buyer's agent present and the listing agent present as well (thus the listing agent "accompanies" the showing.) 

Unless there is something very unique about the house that is not readily evident and thus requires the presence of the listing agent, I think that "accompanied showings" are best used for 2nd showings. Buyers find the presence of the listing agent too intrusive.

Hope this helps.

I have been thinking about this recently, and have generally gotten better feedback from buyers when I let them wander through the home. Obviously, I show up before they do, turn lights on, open blinds, etc.

But I think buyers appreciate this less-intense approach and they feel more comfortable.

Depends on my buyer. Depending on the home, if the home has unique features it is sometimes nice to have the list agent there to go ove rthose features. But if the homes features are pretty standard, prefer the owner an dlist agent is not there. Usually find it makes the buyers a little uncomfortable.