Equestrian properties

Horse properties are a tough sell in this recessed market - 5 acres to 100 acres- not big boarding facilities, not fancy stud farms, just horse properties.  Nice homes on acreage.  A few "ponies" in the pasture, perhaps a riding arena, solid barn, good fencing, maybe even dirt roads (though county maintained) so you can ride off into the sunset but be home in time for dinner.  Some are serious horse owners.  They have a true commitment to "winning" with their horse at whatever discipline they have chosen - showing, rodeo, dressage, reining, jumping and so on.  Others have these four legged, nickering, grass eating machines in their pastures just for the beauty of them.  Whatever thepurpose or the reason, horse properties used to sell.  Now where have all the buyers gone?  Doesn't anyone need a home for themselves and the parade of horses, dogs and cats that have attached themselves to you over the years?  I do not know where to advertise my many horse properties, anymore. I have listings on 20 acres with views and spacious home; a 5 acre parcel with great awesome views and great grass; 80 acre luxury horse property with indoor (heated) and outdoor arena and exceptionally beautiful home & matching barn; a city horse property with 5 acres and a wonderfully remodeled 3 bedroom ranch house with access to everything only minutes away; a charming but unusual home on 25+ acres surrounded by buttes and views but only 10 minutes from the interstate.  I have the listings but where are the buyers?  Certainly... there is a horse owner somewhere in the United States that would like a great horse property in Colorado - call me - I have many and I would love to show and sell one to you today or at least give me an idea for getting lookers or buyers. 

• July 26 2010 - Colorado Springs
  • 0

Hopefully things have taken a turn for the better Susan. Good for you in taking initiative on trying to get exposure for your listings. Outside of craigslist, paying for the "featured agent/listings" on all of these sites is the only other feasible possibility I can think of. These types of properties are harder to sell, and if you are at least getting more hits (not necessarily offers) you can know the properties are getting the exposure they deserve. It has been a tough market, but being able to see results in terms of page views and/or hits can let you know that a property is getting exposure, and go from there as to what should be done: price, curb appeal, cleanliness, etc. Best Wishes

Horse properties are still slow nationwide because the horse market is very slow. They will not recover until people's disposable income goes up again.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
When this question was originally asked, Zillow had no way to search for horse properties on this site.  Many asked for that feature as they were only looking for horse properties (I don't know about Colorado though, and didn't bother looking nor trying to remember).

But Zillow made a major site revision toward the end of 2010 adding a "Keyword" filter to the search filters.  When first added, it was a bit hidden while it was being tested.  But it is visible now.

So, posting in the description about the provision for horses will now allow better marketing on Zillow for horse properties!  And those looking, just need to know that they should include the word "horse" in the keyword filter.  (Use the "more" button to see all the filters on the search).

By the way, one regular poster on Zillow that bought a horse property in Southern California was also posting how many horse owners were "giving" their horses away simply because they didn't have the money to feed and care for them.

If you have one in So. Colorado, I'm retired and looking to lease 3-5 acres,2 BRs Preferred. Email max1011@centurylink.net. I'm currently in the Pueblo area  Thank you

My brother and wife are looking for a home with 2+ acres for 2 horses, 2 dogs and 4 cats. They are very responsible. They would like to rent with option to buy. Do you have any ideas. Considering around Pueblo West, CO but would go as far west as Pagosa Springs, CO. Please email me with any options you might have. Thank you.

• July 01