Profile picture for Royal Wolf

Escrowing with HARP

I put down 20% when I bought my home and, as a result, do not escrow. If I refinance under HARP with my current loan servicer, I have confirmed I am still not required to escrow. If I refinance under HARP with a different participating HARP program lender, am I required to escrow? Thank you, in advance.
  • May 12 2013 - Ocean View

I posted you question to 6 lenders with whom I work.  I will send you their replies when I get them.  Keep watch and thanks for the intelligent question.  I'm curious to know the answer as well.

No escrow required for HARP refinance if you are not escrowing currently.
Tim - why waste 5 lenders time asking question.  That is what lenders participating on Zillow do in a few minutes typically.

It depends on the lender. Some lenders require it when others give you an option.  However most lenders when you elect not to escrow they raise the rate just a tad. So it usually makes more sense to escrow.

In general HARP loans will require you to escrow if the LTV is greater than 80%.  Not every bank will underwrite HARP loans to the letter of the guidelines.  You should check with different lenders to see if they would require you to escrow.

You do not have to escrow with HARP if you do not escrow now.  If any lender tells you have to escrow with the HARP program it is a lender overlay and not a HARP guideline.