Profile picture for MarkF786

Ex-Realtor re-listed my house in MLS without permission - and changed the price!

I had a one year contract with a realtor that expired several months ago and we kept the house off the market over the holidays.  Recently she's been pleading to let her sell the house but we decided to try a new realtor.  When we met with the new realtor, we discovered that she had recently re-listed our house in MLS, and even lowered the price - neither of which we gave her permission to do.  We've asked her to remove the MLS listing, but she's been making excuses and trying to convince us to give her a second chance at selling the house.  Our new realtor is very concerned about the situation (as are we).

Can a realtor list a property without permission?

Is there a way to remove this history as we're concerned her actions will make the MLS history look strange or unfavorable to potential buyers and other realtors?

BTW, the I'm in NJ if that's applicable.

• January 13 2011 - US
  • 0

No, she can't list your house without your permission.   I would call her broker and report her to the NJ board of Realtors.  What does your new agent suggest?

I would flag the listing on Zillow and alert them that this was a hijacked listing, not a bonafide listing.  They do remove some info like this.

You cannot list a property without a listing agreement, which is essentially a contract that has beginning and end date.

You cannot lower a price without written permission from the homeowner.

I would add to the previous response that you should contact the New Jersey Real Estate Commission

1-800-446-7467

You need to file a complaint with her RE commission right now. Do not let this slide. She is crossing professional boundaries and you need to put a stop to it. The online complaint form for NJ is here. Fill it out, get print outs of her ads with a date on them and have you new realtor do a print out off the MLS to prove your case.

You have a potential legal situation at hand. My suggestion is (1) completely review the original signed documents with 'Realtor #1 - you should have a copy, by law, in your file. Look for any small clauses that might extend past the expiration date and if the expiration date is final (2) First call and go on record with the Broker of Record that your property is (potentially) listed illegally. Most Brokers immediately look into this situation and remediate it quickly (3) Send a certified, registered letter (if actually expired and you have written doc) asking to have your listing removed or...... (4) If it goes this far, contact your attorney and go from there.  I guess this happens, but not in my area, just too far-reaching.  Should be a Code of Ethics violation also, but first take it step-by-step, including a personal visit to the Brokerage. Good Luck! 

Just read you are in NJ. NJ has probably the strongest and most stringent laws protecting Consumers anywhere.  Can't imagine that this happened, but if everything else fails, contact the New Jersey Real Estate Commission in Trenton but with complete written documentation in hand prior to.

I am sure we would all like to hear how your remedied this situation. That is unprofessional .
Good luck on your house sale...
Sharon
North Carolina

Profile picture for OneSmartWorld
Many Realtors like xxxx from REMAX still they think that they can do whatever they want, even listing homes without authorization if you have a situation like this please visit this link and complaint you are in you right.http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/re/complaint.html                   xxxxxx I dont know you but don't send me emails telling me what I can or what can't I do. listing a home without authorization is unprofessional and illegal.

[Edited by Zillow moderator. Please refer to our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Profile picture for karlaw
Wow, unbelievable that an agent would actually do this. Would be very interested to hear the outcome of your situation....

I have also had a problem of my house being listed as being for rent when it isn,t and I am still living in it. Twice now the same property management company has changed my listing and posted incorrect facts and photos of my house. It worries me that it will devalue my home.

i wish Zillow would have to receive written approval/permission from the home owner before changes can be made to a homes description, especially when the home owner has claimed ownership of the home and has an account with them as I have. I only found the second erroneous entry recently by chance.

Oh my, that could be a big problem for the Realtor and could result in the loss of real estate profession.
Please keep me posted. Sincerely, Kari.