Profile picture for GerryJurrens

Expressed interest in a property, got immediate response from realtor, but.....

...the realtor who responded to my inquiry sent me an email right away. She explained it was a short sale and that the price had been reduced to "$250.00"!!!  I wrote back that I hoped that was a typo (the listing on zillow was ~$290K. Well, I'm thinking she must have been mortified and hoped she never have to deal with a smarta$$ like me who would point out an error like that. I didn't mean to embarrass her - heck, everyone makes mistakes. Just wanted to let you know.
  • July 30 2011 - Yardley

Gerry you were not being a smartalec. She made a typo. Happens to the best of us. If you really like the property I'd give her a 2nd chance as we all have days like that.  It seems like others are reading (or not reading with some) other things into your post. Across zillow, trulia and the MLS short sales can be entered with pricing that sounds too good to be true. However your post was about the agent responding with a typo. If you like the property then interview the agent to see if she is the one you want in charge for handling the short sale in Yardley. Good Luck

Gerry,
   Zillow's information is not real time information.  It is best to use a Realtor to find out real time information from our local MLS,  I am surprised a Realtor did not contact you back, most are always looking for a sale.

Jane

Gerry-I feel for the agent.  Last week I sent a Market analysis to a poor lady and told her her home was worth $164000, when in fact it was worth $364,000.  A slip of the finger can be a disaster, but I doubt your agent was so upset she would not wish to continue to help you with the sale.  Send her an email and let her know you meant no harm-she will probably be a great help finding the home you want.

Profile picture for Michael Helton

You do not need an agent to access the MLS...it may be done at no cost.  Brokers/agents used to wield their MLS monopoly like a bat, but the emergence of competing websites changed that.

For example, here is one option, the MLS for Yardley, PA.

http://www.mls.com/search/pennsylvania/yardley.mvc

Realtors in the area should also have a local MLS feed for no cost.

Zillow is not accurate or timely at all.  You can find properties listed for sale on Zillow that have been under contract for weeks or already sold.  If you rely on Zillow for accuracy you will be behind the curve.

The MLS your Realtor provides is the most up to date pricing information available. 

Profile picture for Michael Helton
Gerry, Zillow is a great place to start looking at properties or to get more info, but you always want to check the local MLS.  First, the MLS will have the most current status on a home, as well as current pricing.

You could just follow-up with her again, lettign her know it was a joke, but you are actually a serious buyer.  ;-)